WinXP SP3 Roll-out

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Apr 26, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

WinXP SP3 Roll-out

It's been a wild week regarding SP3. This Tuesday, Redmond said that although SP3 was ready, they were going to give priority to Vista SP1, and that SP3 would have to wait. The reason given was bandwidth management. That caused a serious amount of noise from existing MSDN and TechNet users, who complained that the build had already made it on the bittorrent download sites and asked themselves why they would need to renew their subscriptions. However, Microsoft quickly came to its senses and around 10pm, April 23 the SP3 download appeared unannounced on both TechNet and MSDN. That's the right thing to do of course, as professional users need to go through a series of tests to make sure nothing breaks before they deploy. And for the large percentage of sites that is not planning to move their users to Vista any time soon, it's even more important to get their hands on SP3.

Unfortunately, there's not direct link to this story hosted at WServerNews.com. Currently (as of April 25th), it's posted at the top of their main page in the Editor's Corner, but I'm sure that'll change. I suppose if it doesn't appear prominently, you could search the site for the title and hope for the best. Worth a read, I think.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      It could be, MS seem to desperate to get people onto Vista. I have never heard Radio commercials about operating systems before but I have heard the same one 5 times today trying to get people onto Vista Ultimate.

I think my installation of SP3 didn't work well because of compatibility issues, I'll try again maybe next weekend to see if after having a few updates for my AV etc has improved anything.
    2. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      There's been quirks with every SP immediately after release... going back to the dark ages.
    3. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Actually, initial reports (before SP3's release) showed SP3 improving the speed of WinXP, so GBL might not be going crazy after all.
    4. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      There was a definate improvement in Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion, it was just my start up apps that were slow to load. Hopefully it'll be sorted soom and I'll reinstall.
    5. noelg24
      noelg24
      Well none of my machines have XP on...so I cant really comment :biggrin

My only gripe I have is that SP1 for Vista 64 seems to have a problem when I play my DVDs (original copy that is) in Media Centre. It makes the video so pixelated you cant make out what is being played.

If I play a copied DVD, it plays it without a problem. So I removed it and havent bothered putting it back on since...wierd...of course they all play fine in the likes of Media Player and PowerDVD...but I only ever use Media Centre to watch my DVDs and listen to my music on my main machine...:biggrin