Wine

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by ffreeloader, Dec 18, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I hadn't used Wine for a couple of years as I hadn't run across any Windows software that I figured I needed, but I'm pretty interested in the Sigma DSLR's and wanted to play with RAW files from them so I broke Wine out last night and installed Sigma's Photo Pro software.

Wow. What a difference a couple of years makes. It took me all of 20 minutes to install wine, configure it, install the Sigma software, and be playing with .X3F files. Last time I used Wine it took me a few hours to set it all up. Now almost everything is done by the installer.

Once you have everything set up and the Windows software installed, Gnome puts all the Windows software run under Wine in the Gnome menus and it's all point and click from the Applications menu to start it. As far as the end user is concerned, it's just like running native Linux software.

Wine has come a long, long way since I used it last. I'm sure there is Windows software that still won't work under Wine, but what's been accomplished is nothing more than amazing as far as I'm concerned.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've been using wine quite a lot since I got into IT.

Not sure that it's the same product that you're talking about though...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. ffreeloader

Well, I'd noticed that you'd been using it a lot from the thread about the NSA backdoor..... :twisted:

4. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Frankly, I'm very surprised that Linux doesn't deal with RAW natively. Still, even if it does, the inclusded package(s) might be lacking in usability. However, there's some stuff you may or may not have looked at:

Linux.com on RAW

UFRaw

Qtpfsgui

I understand the advantage to using manufacturer-specific software -- my Canon stuff has excellent Windows(and maybe Mac)-only software. I used WINE a few years ago as well, and found it more aggravating than anything else. Good to hear its coming along...

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  5. ffreeloader

Fortch,

Good to see you back.

The problem with the X3F files is that none of the open source tools work with it very well, and the SD 14 RAW files aren't supported at all yet. Oh, you can open them, but they are completely black. There's enough of a difference in file formats that only a very select group of software will handle them.

SPP2.1 is superior to all the tools you linked to even though it's already several years old. I tried all of them first. It's just hard to make a really good open source tool for a propietary file format.

The only software titles I know of that works with the SD 14 files are PS, Lightroom 4.1 and above, SPP 3.0, and Raw Developer. Those are the only ones mentioned on the Sigma forum on DPReview, and there are quite a few pro photogs posting there. I figure if they don't know about it, it probably doesn't exist as there are some very technically astute people there.

6. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I figured you had already researched it fully. I'm just surprised that there isn't better photo software for Linux.

Luckily, I still have Windows PC's lying around, so my photo software is at the ready, even if the 20D hasn't had any recent work :(

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  7. ffreeloader

There are open source tools for RAW files. A lot of them. It's the sensor differences that make the RAW files from the Sigma different than every other camera manufacturer. Sigma uses a vertically stacked sensor for rgb reception where every other digital camera on the market uses the Bayer sensor in which rbg sensors are distributed in a horizontal grid pattern. Thus the huge differences in RAW files from the two different kinds of sensors.