Windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by nXPLOSi, Apr 28, 2008.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hey Guys,

Got a question regarding a Windows XP Installation. I have a harddisk that my friend wants Windows XP Prof on, and at the moment its got alot of his data etc on it. So the plan is too backup his data onto a couple of DVD's, format and then install XP Prof it using my computer, just changing the harddisks, doing the work and then giving him the harddisk back to put back into his PC. Would that work ok? Im a little concerned that it could be promlematic when he puts the harddisk back into his PC?

Sorry if its a wierd one, I always manage to get myself into these situations lol

Thanks,

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi xPlo,

always find it best to do it their case, motherboard BIOS and all that, have done this myself alot, sometimes its ok, sometimes not. Did one once in my bench machine, took it back, just didnt wanna know!!!

K

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You might have to do a repair install when you put the HD in his PC as it might not boot, there is the potential for a BSOD when booting up into Windows.

Also if the PC does boot ok you may have to download some drivers for some components in his PC (e.g network card).

Finally you will probably have to reactivate Windows so don’t activate on your PC and do the activation after the HD has gone into your mates PC.

To be honest it would be much better if you could get his PC and do the install properly, can this be done? Will probably save you some grief! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

how about: taking you friends HDD, plugging it into your PC,
    backup all data and then format/partition fiends HDD using disk management on you pc
    and then just install XP clean on friends box.

from my experience windows (not only XP) really does not like movig into another 'frame'

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I agree with the above, make it up in his box and not yours.
    I think its something to do with the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) which varies on the hardware involved - and this can only be changed completely via doing a rebuild.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Am i being thick or why dont you let him install Windows Xp Prof into his own machine, rather than moving HDD, seems like alot of work to me.......................

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing