Windows XP SP2 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cockles, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hi everyone. Quick OS question if you don't mind

My home PC has never been online, thus I have never downloaded any patches or updates for my version of XP. I have now managed to download SP2 from Softwarepatch.com at work to take home and install, finally updating my OS.

Basically, I just want to know if there is even a slight risk that installing this patch could in any way corrupt my OS, as owing to a box mysteriously going 'missing' when I moved house (which included my copy of Windows) if my OS goes belly up, I am slightly buggered as I can't reinstall it (plus, I don;t have a few hundred quid to hand at the moment to buy Vista, and I don;t think I want to anyway).

Thanks. I haven't got to OS's in my studying yet.

Stay happy :D

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It should more or less be straight forward without loss of life.

However there have been reports that after installing SP2 their PC's stopped working, this was due to certain spyware/malware that wasn't removed from the PC before the upgrade. So before you install SP, please run a couple of programs (Ad-aware, spybot, MS defender, etc) to ensure that your PC doesn't have any of these things. Just noticed that your PC has never been online, so that's a plus.

Here's a couple of websites that you may want to look at:

Get Your PC Ready for Windows XP SP2
    Resolving Windows XP SP2—related application compatibility problems and
    Installing Microsoft Windows XP SP2

Hope this helps.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Excellent. Thanks very much Ken. I have got AVG Free installed and ran complete checks with that, and barring a few trojans everything seemed ok, but as you said, it's never been online so it should be relatively clear.

4. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Ok, part two of this, which is not working now.

I took home the SP2 patch and tried to install it, when I got the following error message (attached). Does this mean there is something wrong with my version of Windows?

Also, I noticed that when it extracted the files, it put them on my G: drive and accessed my G:/Windows folder. I always thought that OS's were installed in the C: folder, regardless of how many drives you have?

Any advice greatfully received (all good A+ learning too!!!)

Attached Files:

5. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

From the error message it looks as if the version of XP on that machine is not valid. When SP2 is installed it checks to see if the copy of windows installed is genuine. If the version and product key used is on your install is from a windows key that has been replicated (copied) it can cause that error.

check here

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/xpsp2/default.mspx

There's little you can do except install a legal copy.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It means that MS thinks that your Windows Key is a pirated key. If this is not the case, you will have to ring up MS and inform them. If it is, you'll have to buy one.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Right, very interesting. Seeing as my XP disks are now probably in someone's garage, I'm a bit stuffed with that!!!

That's the last time I let someone build my PC for me. I was under the impression the OS came with the hard drives. (well, it should be the last time as there would be no point in me doing A+ otherwise)

Thanks for the pointers chaps, looks like I'll have to make Mr Gates a little bit richer in that case.

Tally ho!!!

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Doesn't matter where the disks are... it matters where that actual Product Key sticker is! The disks merely let you install... the key is what makes you legit. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Well, judging by whats been said it's all academic anyway as it looks iffy. I've never really thought about my OS before. When I upgraded (a good few years ago) I just assumed that the OS came with the hard drive I bought. Oh sweet ignorance, how I miss thee!!!