Windows XP Pro 64Bit

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey guys/gals how are ya?

I just wanted to know how many of you use winxp 64bit and is it worth using over a 32bit version. Its just that I have a 64bit cpu and wanted to know if its worth switching.

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good question!

I don't run any 64 bit CPUs unfortunately :(

Presumably, you would only notice a difference if the OS was 64 bit and the running applications were 64 bit but it's an area that I have yet to play with.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Apparantley it's only worth it if you want to be using crazy amounts of RAM. Otherwise it's not worth the trouble of finding drivers and software that work. Or so I've been told anyway.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

You couldnt have asked this at a better time mate..as we speak I am on XP Pro x64...the only difference between this and the 32bit version...it doesnt half install things a whole damn sight quicker!!

yes there are some software that wont work: Zone Alarm and AVG Free and anything McAfee, even if you do make to be compatible with Windows XP 32 bit...the only option for security is AVG Pro 7.1 which one will have to pay for...of course there is Ad-Aware and Spyboy S&D. Microsoft Office is fine but then I am running the Beta 2 of Office 2007 and its cool. So really just about all of MS's software will work apart from Windows Media Player 11. Internet Explorer 7 has no problems (which I am on now).

Other 3rd party software will install so long as you make them compatible for Windows XP 32 bit (by right clicking on the install/setup icon and select Compatibility then Run at Windows XP).

Another good thing about x64 XP Pro is it has two Program Files folders. one for the 64bit apps and the other for the 32bit apps. That way you know that whatever 32 bit app u have installed will work and is installed in the correct folder.

Dont ask me about games because I wouldnt dare install any on here. I use Windows Media Center Edition for those (even tho I install them on another partition than the MCE one itself). Plus did I mention it also has a 32bit and 64bit versions of Internet Explorer? Yes it does. So really if I were you mate, I would do what I have done. Partition your hard drive and have XP Pro 32 on one and x64 on the other...that way if something wont work on x64 u can be sure it will work on 32bit XP Pro.

Drivers for the likes of sound cards and graphics will be ok providing again you have the right drivers. If you are using an ATI card go to www.ati.com and get the latest drivers from there. If you have a webcam there is a big chance it wont install as mine wouldnt and neither would my bluetooth dongle. Havent yet installed me printer but am guessing that shouldnt be a problem.

As for internet connection itself. Well I am on Telewest so it simply installed the ethernet drivers for me motherboard and the modem was online instantly without me having to do anything at all.

So overall, it has its uses (well for me anyway). But I wouldnt have it as the main OS. Partition your hard drive and install it one partition. Any more questions dont be scared to ask :biggrin hope I answered your question. :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I see thats interesting to know Noelg24, I appreciate for the replies guys, I guess its one of those things where you have to try out for your self to see if it suits you or not.

Thanks again guys.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Best way to learn in my opinion...:biggrin glad to be of help...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I run x64 as my main OS. Can't see that there is that much difference except as Noel said, stuff does run a tad faster. Drivers can be a problem, but with the help for the internets best friend, Google, you can find them.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong