Windows XP Partition size

Discussion in 'Software' started by wizard, Apr 7, 2007.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

A quick question, what size partition for Windows XP do you use?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest, I use 1 partion per HDD, just because I'm too lazy to do anything else. Besides I have 3 HDD in my PC (2 internal, 1 external).

However for server, it does depend on what the server does. A "normal" 2k3 server, we'll give the C:\ partition about 20-30gb.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Depends how big the disk is! :twisted:

One drive, one partition is the way that I usually do things! :biggrin

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

For XP in my home environment I tend to leave about 20 or so gigs for my boot partition, then make a very large drive D for my MP3's, games, vids etc...

I install the majority of apps and utils onto drive C, and when it comes to backing up that partition, it's much easier. Especially if you want to take a complete image of the partition.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Thanks for that time to invest in a new hard drive.

If I were to use something like Norton Ghost to backup the c:\ partition can I just whack that back on the new hard drive and windows xp should run just fine?

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yes, you can make a boot disk and pull the image from a hard drive\CD or from a network location.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yes, Ghost 2003 or Version 10 will be able to image your existing drive and "dump" straight to the new one;

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

So basically that would prompt me for the letter of the new drive I want to put the partition on to? I haven't actually got norton ghost so that would be another investment. Any difference between v10 and 2003?

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Assuming your new drive is a lot bigger in size, i would image your current drive to another location, fit the new (bigger) drive and set as master. Boot from the Norton disc, find the image and restore it to your new drive. You can then wipe your old drive and fit as a slave or place in another machine.

When I bought Norton Ghost 10 (recently), it also came with 2003.
    I found an article on ghost here.

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Thanks for your help folks, I'll post again once I've got a new hard drive and a copy of norton ghost :beers2

11. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I prefer acronis true image over ghost, i hate the new interface in ghost. Also, if im not mistaken you cant use ghost for linux partitions.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'll have a look at acronis when I can get the site to load

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I have never tried to image a Linux partition Mick to be honest. The beauty being, unlike windows it doesn't really need a fresh install every year - so my Ubuntu install started on 5.04 and has been upgraded and left alone. I seem to remember reading an article on the Ubuntu forum saying to leave Ghost out of the equation!
    For a Linux imaging tool, you could try this.

I have used Acronis 10, and found it very user friendly. I am not sure if it had (has) all the functionality that Symantec offer in Ghost (such as RIS, back-up over IP etc) but for what Wizard describes will do fine.

There was a debate about which to choose here.

Acronis site seems OK this morning by the way.

Si

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Looks good :D