Windows XP Keeps Rebooting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pablo1888, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Hello,

Somebody has asked me about a problem that they have encountered but I am not sure about it, so I was wondering if any of you guys could help out? They have Windows XP installed and every time they boot into the OS it reboots itself after about 10 seconds with no error messages. I thought it was maybe the MS Blaster virus but I have already seen this and it dosen't have the same symptons.

Thanks in advance!!!

Certifications: MOUS Master, MCP 70-210, A+
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

When the machine boots, does it actually load the Desktop or does it not get that far?

You could try booting into safe mode and see if the problem still exsists. that would at least give you a starting point.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Does it just reboot once and then everything is ok or does it spontaneously reboot at random points throughout the day? Are there any other operating systems on the computer (dual boot)? Was there a previous OS on the machine that they upgraded to XP? How old is the machine?

The most obvious cause of a spontaneous reboot is a bad power supply, but you usually get reboots periodically throughout the day. The only thing I notice about XP sometimes is that, it doesn't reboot but, as the desktop comes up, the screen will blank for a couple of seconds. To a newbie, that might seem like "rebooting". Just a thought.

Please let us know some of the details...and welcome to CertForums, Pablo.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This could be a number of things such as power supply, RAM, motherboard etc, if you go with what Nelix suggested first then at least you'll know you’ve tried it.

Its going to have to be a process of elimination to find the problem, has there been any changes to the system prior to this happening, they could have caused this.

Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

The Desktop comes up every time then after roughly 10 seconds reboots over and over again, I am not sure what system changes have been made. :?: :?:

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Another possibility could be an over-heating CPU, although so soon after booting, that might be a bit unlikely.

Bad RAM, I'm sure wouldn't let you even load the OS. Bad power supply is a deff possibilty, but I thought they were much less predictable, and wouldn't likely happen as regularly as every 10 seconds.

So lets think - if this is happening with such consistent frequency, then sounds like a service within XP is chucking it toys out the pram for some reason.

Can you check the Event Logs, particularly System, and see if you can nail the last event before a reboot, then check under Services to see how that particular service is set to act upon System Failure (eg No resonse, reboot, etc) ?

Mind you, saying that, you ain't going to be able to check the above in under 10 seconds, are you :roll: Blinkin' Catch 22 here, Pablo. Unless Nelix's suggestion of getting any luck with Safe Mode helps...

This is worth more thought, so I'll think a bit more on it. Good luck in the meantime.

Oh, and welcome, by the way - have you visited/posted in the New Members forum yet ?
    :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

A. Open up the box and check all the connections, especially the power connection. If not enough juice is getting to the system board, this will cause spontaneous reboots.

B. The CPU may not be overheating but it may be loose (just ask Sandy about this one). Make sure every connection is set properly.

C. If you can get your hands on a spare power supply with the equivalent output and it's known to be good, try swapping it out to see if that solves the problem.

D. In any event, back up the hard drive NOW in case the computer decides to puke on you. This sort of thing is almost always a hardware problem.

I've got an end user who is having difficulties with her system freezing up and shutting itself off. The clue that mattered was that she sometimes hears a clicking sound coming from where her HDD is located. In this case, I'm sure her hard drive is about to puke. I'm gonna copy all her data onto a brand new drive in the short run and buy her a new PC in the long run. Her current PC has been upgraded a number of times and it has probably gone as far as it will go. Now it's just a matter of getting her dept head to pay for it (if he doesn't and they lose that data, he's really pay for it).

8. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Thanks guys for your help. I started it in Safe Mode and done CHKDSK /R which solved the problem. Sorry for not being able to get back to you quicker, as I am now living in Spain and have to use Internet Cafes. Not able to afford installation yet. :(

Cheers

Paul

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Good job, Pablo. One to add to the knowledge base. Thanks for getting back to us. Don't worry about a "timely" response. Hang in there.

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Sorry, but I have to ask this Pablo. Is there a particular significance to the "1888" part of your name (he said, hoping there is, and that my hunch may be correct) ?

11. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

If you are thinking of a certain football team that plays in the east end of Glasgow then you'r hunch may indeed be correct Jakamoko.

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I knew there was something about you I liked, Pablo :alc

Hail, hail !

13. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Nice to know there is more than one of us about Jakamoko. :respct

Speak to you soon again no doubt. Nice site by the way!!! Found out about it from NITLC website.

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

:confused3 :confused2 :confused3

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Cheers Pablo - all my own work.

Do you mean NITLC themselves are recommending us, or did you get a tip-off from another Student ?

@Trip: 1888 - year aforementioned Team was founded. HTH
    No names, btw - I ain't starting that kinda controversy here.

16. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Was reading a thread one night and this URL happened to be mentioned, so decided to have a look. :eyecrazy

17. ron_of_orange

ron_of_orange New Member

hoping this thread is stil Valid

Hi anybody?everybody!

I'm guessing the re-booting problem Pablo1880 had was very similar to a Event 4100 that I'm experiencing now.
    The Event 4100 on My Intel box running Windows 2K pro looks like this
    pasted...here\
    The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber {6295DF2D-35EE-11D1-8707-00C04FD93327}. CoCreateInstanceEx returned HRESULT 8000401A.

This I feel may be precurser (cause for another Event) namely an Event 9...
    This is a repetive event with an approximately 10 second pattern. Some times it stop on it own....It can drag down your system response time dramatically. But seems to worse on my other PC which happens to be a Tyan Thunder K7 S2462UNG. Both boxes are dual processor server boards.

I've been chasing down a cause for my Event 9 problem which was the result of my trying to re-install a external Firewire CD-RW. The CD_RW is driven by PCI add-in cards...which show no error messages or conflicts

I have two PC's...both are having this re-cycling problem with the re-installation of My CD-RW...The actual CD_RW error message in Device manager come with a Code 10 error which is a failure to start.
    I've tried to correct this...still no luck.

But I'm guessing that the 4100 event may be closer to the cause, IMHO.

If someone has more information along this line , please feel welcome to respond....I've been chasing this for at least a few days. It's getting old that for sure.

thanks in advance

ron_of_orange
    1:45PM, PST