WINDOWS XP Installation Problem

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by londonboy, Apr 19, 2007.

1. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

Hi I am preparing myself for MCDST exam, for my home PC LAB I bought 2 PC from ebay. I have installed Win XP pro in one PC without any problem, but second one.. is nightmare. I am keep trying to install Windows XP from yesterday and I don't know where is the problem. :rolleyes:

Every time I boot with Windows XP Pro CD, My PC freeze a blue scree shows Windows Setup at the top left and at the bottom it shows ''Setup is loading files (Windows Executive)...''

PC Description

Compaq Evo D310
    Intel Pentium 4, 2000MHz
    256MB DDR RAM

Is there anyone can help me to fix my windows xp pro installation problem

Regards

Certifications: Brainbench Certified HTML Developer
    WIP: MCDST, MCSE
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

sure its not the drive itself... we know its not the disc...

3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You might want to format the hard drive through DOS prompt as it might be a hard drive issue. Let us know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies, now I am installing my another PC using thesame CD and it is working fine, can you please explaing how do I format the HDD from BOOT, do I need to connect the HDD with anothes PC as SLAVE HDD and then using fdisk,,,

5. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Try a different CD drive in the PC that will not install XP perhaps?

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  6. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

But if there is a problem with CD drive, how come it boot system from CD..??

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the CD drive working ok? Perhaps swap them round with the other PC?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If XP won't install on a new system, you probably have a hardware issue - to me it sounds like either RAM or the hard drive as they are the most common causes. Maybe try swapping them out first. Also check the BIOS version and see if there is an update on the manufacturers web site for the model of computer.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

Thanks for your reply. For your kind information when I bought it from ebay windows xp pro was already installed. I format the HDD to re-install as part of practice. If it's RAM issue I will check the RAM changing to another slot. And to update BIOS, please explain me how I gonna do it. I know I can download but curently there is no OS on my system, without OS is it possible to update BIOS, to be honest I never did that beofre.

Kind Regards

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well it depends on the PC manufacturer, as they provide utilities for updating their own BIOS's - usually it can be done by saving the util to a bootable floppy disk, then insert the floppy into the PC which needs the update, set it to boot from floppy and hey presto but you should read and follow their instructions.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

Thanks for your reply, but can I update BIOS using CD instead of FLOPPY, boot from CD

Cheers

12. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

I've had an underpowered PSU cause a windows installation to fail before now....

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  13. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Hmm, this just sounds like the normal txt portion of your installation to me. Are you actually getting any errors? How long are you actually giving the system to carry on installing? It may just be slower than your other pcs.

If it is hardware related then you should swap the CD drive out like suggested. Then run memtest to check the RAM (available here http://www.memtest.org/), and run a HDD diagnostic from the HDD manufacturers website.

As for the BIOS update, its hard to say if you can boot from CD as you havent gave us any mobo information. You need to goto the mobo manufacturers website, then do a search for the correct BIOS for your motherboard. You normally get instructions from them on how to update it. Make sure you follow them to the letter as a failed update can make your mobo useless.

If none of this works and its down to a compatability issue, then you can remove everything from the system that isnt essential, and just leave the bare minimum in there, and install the OS that way, once its installed then you can add everything else back and XP will detect it as usual. HTH.:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just as a test partition the hard drive into two partitions, one NTFS and one with FAT32. Copy the contents of the CD to the FAT32 partition and kick off the install from there. You can do all of this with a Windows 98 boot disk (happy days!) and see how you get on. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

Hi Thanks for your reply mate. Well you right there is no error message, it stopped normal TXT portion of windows xp installation. From BIOS System Information

Product name Compaq Evo D310
    Processor Type Pentium(r) 4 Processor 2000 MHz
    Processor Speed 2000/400 MHz
    Cache Size (L1/L2) 20/512 KB
    Memory Size 256 MB DDR
    System ROM 68602 v2.14

Everything is builtin (AGP, Network, Sound Card etc).. still can't figure our where is the problem. When it delivered to me last week Win XP pro was installed and it was running fine, but I wanted to create my own partition and re-install winxp...

16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

This will rule out the RAM (or DIMM) slot but won't help if the RAM stick is at fault - you are moving the fault to another part of the motherboard.

As Raffaz says, prepare to install with the minimum amount of hardware. Try the RAM from the machine that did successfully install (if they are the same type) and check the IDE configuration (Master and slave) - i have seen some bizarre faults occur when these are not set correctly.

If you install Windows XP, try re-fitting any devices removed one by one and see how it deals with them.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  17. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

to add to what Boyce mentioned, listen out to beep codes aswell

18. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

I once had a similar issue with an XP install. As has been said remove non essential hardware bit by bit and sooner or later you will come to find what is causing the conflict. My issue turned out to be the Modem, once that had been removed the XP install sailed through without problem.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  19. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You could also try resetting the bios values to their default settings. There could be a rogue ram timing setting or a minor overclock tweak in there that is causing instability during the installation.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  20. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

hi just changed the CD Drive with another PC stil my Win XP installation stops at normal text screen...