Windows XP Install Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AJ, Mar 27, 2004.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Trying to install XP on the kids pc but everytime I try the setup it says that it cannot find one of the files and it's not always the same file. Thought it was something to do with the Bios setings so changes them to "Safe" settings. After numerous attempts it finally got into the GUI mode and then froze again. It's still there, sitting and not doing anything.

I did try loading 2000 pro. That went in no problem, would run fine. I then tried to upgrade and the sam thing happened.

Thing is though the pc has had XP on it before and it ran fine. Also tried a different CD so I know it's not that.

Any advice :!:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi AJ,

Was going to say I had similar recently, until you ruled out the CD.

Have you tried removing any non-essential hardware from inside the machine, then installing ? I know that XP's hardware detection can be ropey. Mine consistently refused to find the correct modem , which w2k picks up first time every time. After a week, I finally forced XP to accept a driver that only just works, and no more :evil:

Also, format the drive from a Win98 disk, as opposed to the format that XP does from the CD. I have seen that making a diference too.

HTH
    :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. AJ

Ok tried what you suggested. Formatted the drive with a Win98 disk and then ran XP setup. Left the file system alone. Started to load the setup files and then told me it couldn't load one of them. Restarted it and then all the files loaded OK. It went into the GuI mode and got as far as Preparing for Installation and then froze.

Anything else?

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Let's go back a step. You said the machine originally had XP on it. What happened to change that? Did you remove it and replace it with another OS? Maybe knowing a little history might help discover the problem. Also, is this happening for both upgrade and clean installs? Have you tried to wipe the drive completely (by using killdisk or some other utility) and doing a completely clean install?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. AJ

Ok, this machine needed cleaning down as the kids had been messing about and I thought it was time to clean down the HDD and start again. I went in for a complete fresh install of XP from fresh. Whilst doing so it came up with those errors. I had overclocked it and so I thought that it could have been that, so I change the BIOS back to factory defaults and it still would not load.

Tried NTFS and FAT32 but still does it. Tried a new HDD, different make and size and still errors out or freezes.

Loaded 2000 onto it no problem and then tried to upgrade but it still freezes on me at the same opint everytime. That is whilst it is "Preparing Installation".

Tried all of those suggestions that Gav posted.

The only cards in the thing is a NIC and the graphics card The NIC has been in the pc and then removed to see if that makes any difference, but it doesn't. The only thing that I haven't tried is a different graphics card so that will be the next step, but it worked before.

I think that is all.

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Can you be absolutely sure that the CD(s) and CD-ROM drive are not at fault, AJ ? I mean, if the second CD was a backup copy of the original, then the problem could have been carried over :?:

Sorry, but "stating the bleeding obvious" is my middle name :oops: Makes my CV kinda messy though :roll:

7. AJ

Well my friend, the 2 disks in question are not copies of each other. That is to say they are both from a different source and have been used before. with no problems. I think the CD-ROM drive is OK as it loads W2000 Pro with no problems, I've only had this trying to load XP.

But thanks for the help Jaka-"stating the bleeding obvious"-moto

lol :D :D

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Just checking, AJ :D

9. AJ

No problem Gav, even checking the obvious again makes you check and make sure you're not overlooking something you think you've checked.

Thanks mate

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

OK AJ, I have also had this problem but from OEM disks and copies of the same. Are the disks originals, copies, with sp1, oem, oem sp1 etc? Have you a copy of XP and then added sp1 to the disk?

As stated above I had the same problem but with a HP/Compaq oem disk trying to load it on an old Compaq Deskpro. Stops at the GUI with the same cannot find the xxx files. Different every time.

Win 2K pro and server loaded fine as did xp home and linux so I know the computer is fine. I think it might be the disks.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. Japes

Japes Bit Poster

Not done much with XP but some thoughts. I know you may have tried these already as you seem to have covered most of the bases I would have looked at 8) and I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs....:wink:

It does sound to me like the CD's..... Pledge polish can "rescue" a scratched CD.

I've known memory to work with one OS and not with another. Even though it worked before. I'm assuming XP came pre-installed so may not have been built on that laptop and or the memory may have become flaky since.
    If you've only got the one in the laptop try putting it in the other slot, it maybe the slot, or even dirt.

This probably won't help - but how many times have you rebooted the system. I've had a w2k laptop that needed to be cold booted 4 or 5 times to build the OS, ran fine afterwards.

Have you tried a BIOS update? It maybe something there that XP doesn't like and "may" have been resolved.

Assuming the CD's are original and all that, are you booting off of a diskette first, do a viri check (I've been caught out before with this one - OT a collegue didn't ask and borrowed some disk which he took home....... nuff said :roll:).

HTH

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

If it's not the CDs and it's not the HDD and its not the BIOS and it's not a PC card, maybe it's something basic like a motherboard gone bad. Awhile back, I had a problem with my Dell laptop. I was getting all kinds of memory errors, lock ups and reboots. I called Dell support and after having them run me through a ringer, we decided it was the motherboard. I shipped it back to them and they swapped it out and upgraded the BIOS. Up to that point, I couldn't use the OEM disk to do an OS system repair, it would give me all kinds of errors.

It still came back with issues (I didn't ship my HDD with the laptop so it was my fault) but at least I could reload the OS this time. Maybe a chipset or circuitry error occurred.

13. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi AJ

Have you tried swapping out the memory ? Have you got more than one stick of RAM in there and do they match if you do ?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Good call, Phil. I'd let that one slip my mind and it shouldn't have since I tried that out when my laptop went "fubar".

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Just a thought - if it was bad RAM, that would be affecting any OS AJ is trying to load, wouldn't it (theoretically) ? But if he can load w2k no probs, but not XP, it does tend to point back to what's been said above about disks.

Sorry - just thinking aloud again. I must stop that :roll:

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Oh duh.

17. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I know what you mean Gav and that would be logical but I've seen some memory problems do really weird things, its worth checking.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  18. AJ

Ok update time.

Cleaned the disks - no go

Changed Graphics Card - no go

RAM (1 stick PC2100 256MB) only got the one and nomore of that type in the house that will have to wait until after Easter now when back to work. Did change the slot it was in - no go

Removed all other cards in pc (only NIC in there anyway) - no go

The CD is a copy from the one used at work (The school licences all of its staff for XP and office in and out of school if the machine is used for work purposes). This disk has been used before but again it will have to wait unill after Easter. I'm still trying so if anyone else spots something that I've missed then just belt me around the head with it :lolbang

Cheers Guys