Windows XP Error!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Professor-Falken, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I am getting an error in Windows XP. I boot up my computer, and when I reach the desktop none of my desktop icons show on my desktop and my hardrive light keeps flashing.

I press the reset key and Windows XP boots over again, and the desktop icons show on the desktop. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and how to fix it.

Thanks,

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Can you get in using LKG (last known good)? That is the first thing to try. If not what about safe mode?

To access these options, press F8 just after the BIOS screens finish displaying info.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

if i understood correct after you restart the desktop returns to normal? This could have been a faulty installation or some conflict is happening.. if LKG doesnt work try re-installing windows..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sorry I didn't read your post properly. LKG won't work after you have logged in and Safe Mode won't help much as you can log in normally the after a second re-boot.

Try disabling start up items one by one to try and determine what is causing the hang. run msconfig.exe.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

What about running sfc.exe from a command prompt with the windows disk in the drive to check for missing system files

Failing that boot of the windows disk and run a repair

just a thought

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  6. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys for your help. Will try these things when I ge a chance. I have been pretty busy.

Maybe this weekend!

Thanks again for your help!
    :biggrin

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +