Windows XP Disc

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nick74, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Nick74

Nick74 Bit Poster

Hi Guys

Hopefully someone on here will be more helpful than Microsoft!

I have a desktop PC running XP Home, and the Hard Drive is knackered.

I have bought a new Hard Drive, but gone to my box of discs and what I thought was the XP installation disc is only a recovery CD supplied by the firm who built the PC. I cant access the old drive to get into the recovery partition, i need to do a completely fresh install.

I have called MS, who tell me they are unable to provide an XP disc - which I find staggering. They are happy to offer me telephone support for £46, but not a disc.

Does anyone know a way of getting hold of a disc, or does anyone on here have one they would be prepared to send me, I will cover costs of course. I dont want to download one from a Torrent site with the risk of it being corrupt. The original manufacturer is in liquidation, so I dont think I have any other options other than buying the OS again, which I am not prepared to do, or borrowing/copying a disc.

I would just buy 7 and start afresh, but am looking to do MCDST so really need XP, at least for the next few months.

My only other option is ebay I suppose, but I want to ensure I am getting the real McCoy. I already have the Cert of Authenticity and product code, which is what Ebay sellers are really selling it seems for the dishonest amongst us .

Very grateful if anyone can help, or I have missed something obvious.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    Certifications: C&G, A+
  2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

If you can't find another solution you could go ahead and make the jump to Windows 7 Pro and use Windows XP mode for studies. That's what I used for most of my MCDST studies.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I have an old XP home disc sitting in my collection. Unfortunately for you it's German.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. sykes

sykes New Member

Hi Nick74

I can help you out, email me your address on [email protected], il send you XP with Service pack 2, you can do a clean install with it

6. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

If it is only for the mcdst course then you should be able to buy the Microsoft book that comes with an xp install disk with a 6 month evaluation code.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Nick74

Nick74 Bit Poster

ok thanks anyway guys. I dont think I would get much use out of Technet at the moment, so dont want to spend that much, and buying a retail version would stick in my craw im afraid, ive already paid for it once!

Ill keep asking around, or just go straight to 7 if I have to buy a new OS.

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If you start to think about buying Windows 7 then why not go the full monty with a technet sub? (can you tell I bought MS shares yesterday? :twisted: )

That way you get any version of 7 that you want plus all the other goodies to play with too.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would say the opposite would be true, if you're wanting to get certified then the best option you can get is a Technet subscription, not only do you get the OS's but depending on the subscription you also get all of the Enterprise software you would want (Exchange, System Center etc. etc.).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. Nick74

Nick74 Bit Poster

Dont get me wrong, I can see the value in Technet, but maybe as I move onto other things. If I take from now until March to do MCDST I have used up half a year just to get hold of XP (or 7). Will be more worthwhile to me to lok at a sub in 6 months time or so, then I would get more value from it. Im still looking at other qualifications as well which may start in march so I will reassess then.

Thanks for the replies chaps.