Windows XP ASR

Discussion in 'A+' started by brizzoluk, Feb 24, 2010.

1. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Hi.
    I am just reading about the above subject in the AIO book.
    It says to restore from ASR involves a complete reinstall of the OS.
    Is this not just the same as doing a clean install from the XP installation disc?
    If so what is the point of ASR?

Sorry if im missing something here but it doesnt make sense to me.

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

ASR has two parts to it.

One part will backup everything on the system and will attempt to save how the system is at the time of the failure (system state).

The other part is what you initiate if there is a complete breakdown of the system and the OS needs installed again ASR installs the OS and from the backup of the system state will attempt to return the system back to how it was before the system failed with everything included.

Hope that makes sense

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. brizzoluk

Thanks GBL.
    Right ok, so by everything included does that mean all your files, programs and system settings?

Also, does that mean if you dont have a floppy drive on your pc, you cant use ASR?

My next question...:)

It states that data files are not backed up by the ASR so you have to back up data files.
    Run the backup utility and click next rather than choosing the advanced mode, you'll see the screen in figure 15-47 (backup wizard option box with three options) the third option (only backup the system state data).

Ok i run the backup utility and mine actually appears as the "backup or restore wizard" i click next but then only get two options..

back up files and settings
    restore files and settings

so i click backup files and settings and the next option box offers four choices none of which is "only backup system state data" so im a little confused as to what is happening here?

By the way im using xp pro.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

By system state I mean it will backup any logical drives etc that you have setup and how you run the system. You need to backup any data files seperately.

ASR is only to be used as a last resort always try safe mode and last known good config first.

You start ASR and back everything up and create a boot disk which will have important files on it that windows needs once the backup is done the system will reboot and you get presented with the blue xp setup screen you press F2 yadda yadda yadda. the system will format the drive and then reinstall xp and use the boot disk you created to restore the system state (i.e logical drives etc that you have setup).

after this you would use the backup wizard to restore the data that you backed up earlier.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. brizzoluk

Ok that makes sense, the only downside i can see to it is that it needs a floppy drive to create the disk and floppy drives are pretty obselete these days so wouldnt that make the ASR pretty obselete?
    Thanks for explaining it to me.

6. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

On Microsoft website they have a list of ASR compatible USB external floppy drives.

But yes really its obsolete in the newer OS's or when using third-party backup solutions.

Saying that some people still do use ASR with the above external floppies esp server 2003.

Also the ASR files themselves can be backed up of other types of media, however, must be run from floppy to restore.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  7. brizzoluk

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me.