Windows vs Linux

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by colemancol, Dec 8, 2009.

1. colemancol

colemancol New Member

The fight between Windows and Linux has been nearly as overhyped as a Don King venture in a monster Vegas arena, screaming fans included. In one corner, hard-core Microsoft fans avow Windows Seven as the comeback kid of the new century, rising above all previous problems with Windows Vista. In the other, Linux boosters claim the open-source operating system is poised to power the enterprise from stem to stern, trash-talking Microsoft's bloated code and licensing gotchas along the way.

The truth, unfortunately, is far less dramatic. The real battles take place in smaller venues, where Windows wins sometimes and Linux pulls off its share of victories with little fanfare.

Those looking for blood are bound to be disappointed, as the two would-be combatants increasingly make an effort to play nice. For instance, although it has been possible to share files to Windows clients from Linux servers via Samba for years, only recently has integration with Active Directory been solid. Domain integration has always worked, but it was occasionally tenuous and difficult to administer. No more.

On the Windows side, the release of Microsoft Services for Unix 3.5 has shown that Redmond is providing some semblance of integration with modern Unix systems. SFU's network information service and network file system services are reasonably complete, and its Unix tool set even includes Perl and the Korn shell. In fact, these tools will be officially distributed with Windows Seven.

Rather than force all network services onto a single platform, most enterprises are implementing Linux servers in key areas. Although this trend is not exactly new, the areas served are changing. Any smart IT manager with carte blanche to design a new network should include both Windows and Linux as major players.

Historically, if a few Linux servers existed in a Windows network, they were orphans handling a single task that had little relation to the services provided by Windows. Today, Samba 3 provides true integration with Active Directory, making it easy to configure directory-authenticated Linux Web servers, FTP servers, file servers and especially database and network management services.

Conversely, stability improvements on the Microsoft side and Active Directory's reliance on the Domain Name System make the case for Windows servers to handle DNS and DHCP tasks. Although it's certainly possible to run an Active Directory environment with Linux providing the DNS and DHCP services, it's not as easy to manage.

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

If you are going to quote a resource, please have the respect to reference it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

We value real contribution. Not stuff copy and pasted.

You did this in the recent win7 thread and didnt credit the original article but I let it slide as you're new here.

Please give credit where credit is due and careful when it comes to copyrighted material as that can land the forum in hot water.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I suspect this is some sort of SEO spam attack from these users with "ginseng" and "webcam" in their signatures.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Infraction given

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Yeah all the other instances of these posts on other sites have crappy common seo words like acai berry in the sig. Affiliate marketers suck

Cant see what this achieves in terms of seo though?

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  7. BosonMichael

It may just be the intelligence analyst part of me that won't ever die but when people start doing nothing but copy-paste jobs or posting irrelevant comments/threads out of nowhere, I get suspicious... not to mention the irrelevant signatures.

What I'm thinking is that they use these supposedly "legit posts" and these keywords along with their usernames to get their own sites (that contain the same info and usernames and keywords) boosted on Google and other search engines. And that info may have absolutely nothing to do with their product!!

Although they're not advertising anything blatantly, it's still indirectly benefiting their site... and cluttering up our forum. As such, I put them in the same category as spammers.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Fergal1982

Looks like you are spot on Mike. AJ, time to get the banhammer out methinks.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Busted :D BTW BM bit OT but why is your company name Boson if you don't mind me asking.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  10. BosonMichael

I dunno why the original founders named it Boson. Guess they thought it sounded cool. :)

11. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

If I recall correctly, the original founder has a background in chemistry.

12. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ah so its named after sub atomic particles . . . thats all I know ha ha Damn A'Level Chemistry! That doesn't mean its BosonMicaels company does it . . . . :eek: kerching!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  13. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Bosons are cool :D

Ah Ha

14. Fergal1982

15. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

lol nice one Fergal, I had to double take that one.

16. BosonMichael

Despite my Chemistry major and Physics minor, I did not found Boson. :) Josh and I did, however, found BrainBeacon, which never got off the ground properly before we were hired by Boson. Some of the original founders of Transcender had bought Boson and asked Josh and I (and several other ex-Transcenderites) to come on board. In fact, there's more "original Transcender" employees here (9) than at Transcender itself (1, a sales rep).

17. JK2447

Sorry to hear that mate. Hey I didn't know you had been a co-author of a book :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  18. BosonMichael

No need to be sorry - I absolutely love my job. :) I have absolutely no regrets.

I've done quite a few things. ;) Yeah, we wrote the book before coming on board at Boson.

19. JK2447

Yeah I believe in fate, glad you enjoy your job :biggrin

Thats brilliant bromate. Your quite a mystery aren't you eh. If I'd authored a book I'd tell everyone ha ha

20. BosonMichael

I believe Someone's opening and closing the right doors so I end up where He wants me. ;) That's why I'm not a spy or an operations analyst or a chemist or a telemessaging tech or a full-time network admin.

I mention it every now and then, but I don't want to come across like a spammer. I'm not on here to promote my book or sell practice exams. But if people decide to buy them because they think I'm knowledgeable or helpful, then I've got no problem with that! ;)