Windows Vista Certs?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Mikeyboy, May 29, 2008.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Hi Guys,

I am currently working towards my MCDST - done 270 (I know it doesn't count :D but good experience) and 271, gonna book 272 shortly... Anyway, as I am trying to get into "the industry" I am planning on doing a little bit of freelance computer repair, problem solving etc, but I know more and more people now have Windows Vista on their systems... So I think it would be a good idea to get to know Vista before I start destroying innocent computers...

What certs are there currently for Vista? Would be good to do one, if just for a bit of experience...

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You could do MCAS Vista, Ken (wagnerk) has done this so he will be the best person to let you know about it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Like GBL said there is the MCAS: Vista cert that you can go for. While it isn't a technical cert (it's more of a power user cert) it will ease you gently into using Vista itself.

Once you get your MCDST, you can get the study materials for the 70-620 & the 70-622 (or the 70-621) for the MCITP: Enterprise Support Tech, however if you're going to be support home users that I would recommend looking at the MCITP: Consumer Support Tech (which is the 70-620 & the 70-623) first of all (as with the MCITP: EST you need to know alot more than just Vista, eg domain environments, AD, etc).

Hope this helps

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. jamessimo

jamessimo Banned

HI

I Like your self is looking to get into the IT industry I have recently become MCDST I have the learning material for 70-620 and have material for the 70-622 on its way. I could do the 70-621 and get both MCTS and MCITP

however with lack of exposure to Vista and domain environments with Vista I m going the 2 exam route 70-620 and 70-622. to Give me a better understanding

there are sims out for these and I have a fav simulator place that I use that has the 70-620 exams .
    the 70-622 for me is going to be the one that will need some study as it is a bit more complex

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCTS,CCNA,CCNAV
    WIP: ccnp,ccvp,ccdp.ccip
  6. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys, some interesting reading there, having looked I'd probably look at the 70-620 first, I just want a little bit of an introduction really, in case I come across home users with Vista, which will be more common now...

I am going to move onto my A+ after I get the MCDST, I'll probably take a look at Vista while im doing that as from what I can gather, A+ is more hardware based so I could put Vista on my laptop while im tearing other computers apart :biggrin

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you're dealing with home users, I'd recommend 70-620 and 70-623 for the MCITP: Consumer Support Tech certification.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!