Windows Vista Business edition

Discussion in 'Software' started by piccadilly, Mar 18, 2010.

1. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Hi there

I've a copy of Windows Vista Business edition that came with a Dell laptop, but no reg key.

I found a reg key stuck on a PC that hasn't got Vista installed. I tried to use that key to register the Vista (after installing on a laptop) but it wouldn't allow the key.

Any ideas on how to get my copy registered?

Thanks.

2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Keys are probably for a different version of the product. its worth noting OEM keys dont work with retail media and visa versa. Also a OEM Licence can only be used on the machine with the sticker its not transferable.

If you have proof of purchase your best bet is to phone Dell and explain.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Ah I didn't know that, so that's why I can't register. Thanks for the reply.

Question: how does the machine know that key on the sticker? say if you format that PC?

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Depends on the licensing techique/model that they use, some OEM versions are keyed to the BIOS, some aren't...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Really! Flipping heck, that's really secure.

6. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Another question: If a Vista Business OEM is imprinted in the BIOS of a laptop, would an installation Vista Home Premium with its own valid key install - on that same laptop?

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Should do, unless it's an OEM copy again :) You misunderstand me, re licensing. The OEM version of Windows that's preinstalled may use the BIOS for activation (so that it may not be installed on another machine). This does not stop another OS from being installed on the machine, it's just a licensing feature :)

Hope that's a bit clearer :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I seen recovery disks ie images keyed to a BIOS, but have never seen a windows installation disk keyed to a BIOS.
    Saying that i don't really work with OEM licenses any more we upgrade OEM licenses to volume licences.

At the end of the day a OEM licence isn't transferable if you do move it to another machine or use it after the machine is disposed its technically breaking the law

Some ranges of product ids are registered to manufactures, also preinstalled OEM software may have used a different key than the one on the sticker that's because of mass imaging. Its okay you just use the one on the sticker to reinstall.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's actually to do with the OS and BIOS, on branded media there are files that check to see if the BIOS contains data that allows it to install onto the machine without requiring the user to input a license key, this is all to do with the SLIC table in the BIOS.

If you have Dell Branded media you can install the OS and it won't ask you to enter a key, it will use the generic Dell key instead.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Thanks for the info.