Windows Update Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pheonicks56, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Okay so I bought a downloadable version of Vista Ultimate for a bargain of $80 through my university. Downloaded and updated from XP Pro and it has been working great. My big problem is I Windows Updater, every time I try to run update to ensure I am not missing out on crucial security patches or what not I get an error code saying "Windows could not search for new updates" Error(s) found: code 80073712. Does anyone know what is wrong and why I can't use the updater, that and is this going to be a serious problem in the future with security threats?

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you updated to SP1 yet mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. Pheonicks56

Yes my install came with SP1 already.

I do not have the specified file to delete but I tried installing the WUA anyway, no luck and got the same error code as always, 80073712. I don't know what the problem is, it seems like a problem somewhere in the dlls, but I no nothing about how they work or what I'm doing with them. Any help would be very much appreciated.

5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Have you tried running SFC /SCANNOW ?

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

There are a few suggestions here

One of the suggestions that hasn't ben metioned is this,

Run chkdsk c: /f
    Reboot

Copy Vista disk to to hard drive.
    Run Vista Setup from the hard drive and choose update.

Which they were told by MS to do to fix the issue.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

... or just reformat the bugger and reinstall from scratch.

I hate upgrading windows OS's, something always goes sideways.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Werd.

I never do an upgrade on a personal machine - ever.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. Pheonicks56

My plan is to do a reformat and a fresh install, my problem is I don't have a Vista disk, my copy of vista was a digital download, so I'm waiting for my disk to come in the mail that I ordered after I realized how janky Vista can be.

10. Qs

If you downloaded Vista through your Uni's MSDNAA then you will have the disc in an .iso format.

Navigate to where the .iso is and then burn it to a CD/DVD using cd burning software (http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm is a good, freeware app for this)

Once you have it on cd, use it at your boot/install disc.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Words of wisdom. In the last few years, I've upgraded the OS on only one computer... and that's only because I was writing that section of the Vista 70-620 book! Wipe-and-reinstall is always the way to go.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Pheonicks56

It wasn't exactly through the MSDNAA, it was through Digital River, I still have the files saved on my HDD, I've got boot.wim, install.wim, X14-63452.exe, and X15-19965.exe, are these the files I would need to create an ISO and turn them into a bootable disk?

13. Qs

See here for a step by step guide to changing your .wim files etc into a bootable .iso image.

Qs

14. Pheonicks56

Thanks Qs, I already figured it out and made one with ImgBurn, now my problem is my drive doesnt seem to want to burn. Yah another step in troubleshooting my problem riddled rig!

15. Qs

• Use a blank disc - reformatted ones suck and often give problems
    • Make sure the drive can actually burn to your type of disc (I know this is a stupid point, but I've seen this so often it's silly)
    • Make sure your drive has fully up-to-date drivers

Qs

16. Pheonicks56

Just finished troubleshooting, apparently my drive is pretty much shot. I've ensured the firmware is up to date, I've tried three different types of media with multiple disks from each type, all give the same error, power calibration error. I've also tried changing the molex connector and ensured it's on it's own connector not sharing power with any other devices of case fans. Through all this I am still getting the same error, now either my PSU is just not enough, I doubt it, or my drive is busted. At the moment I think I'm just going to buy a new drive since they're so cheap. Not worth the trouble of sending it in to get repaired.

17. Qs

Power Calibration errors can be solved by running through the steps listed here

:)

Qs

18. Pheonicks56

Yep I had already tried those, unfortunately I'm running Vista so the fix with the IMAPI service is not available since IMAPI is no longer a service. At this point all I can do is buy a new $25 drive.