"Windows Startup Has Failed"

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by nXPLOSi, Jul 16, 2007.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

Need a little help!

A friend of mine has problems with her computer, every minute or so, the computer displays a message saying "Windows Startup Has Failed". Apparently it won't let her access anything on the computer except the internet. She rung a the company she bought it from, and they said she'd need to format and reinstall, which means losing all her data ect, which she isnt happy about.

Any suggestions on what I can do? My first thought was starting the computer without the internet, as it seems the virus may need this to function? Not sure.

If anyone has come across this or something similar before, what did you do? Any ideas?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

My first reaction would be to unplug it from any network, restart in safe mode, and run things like Adaware.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, sounds like some sort of virus or other nasty malware... that's not a standard Windows error message...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Like what the last two posts said unplug from the net connection get a virus scan done, and adware ap or spybot search and destroy and youll probably find something that needs killed

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Thanks guys, will give that ago and see what it is!

:)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Excellent ideas!:)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  7. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

but to be honest if its heavily infected, would be soo much easier to format and install again, would save alot of time as well.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends on the extent of infection, and how easy/difficult it is to remove each infection. We just had a huuuuge thread on this very topic...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!