Windows Server Update Services

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by ryanthelion84, Apr 19, 2008.

1. ryanthelion84

ryanthelion84 Nibble Poster

Hi All!!

Just wondering how much of WSUS people have seen covered in their 70-290 exams!

I have the first edition of 70-290 text book which still talks about SUS, (Software Update Service) and so have had to go about installing WSUS myself and reading up about it on technet!

My major concern is which version of WSUS is covered in the exams?

I downloaded and installed WSUS 2.0 and currently have the ops guides for it to read through. However, I dont want to bother if it is WSUS 3.0 that is being covered in the exam content.

Any ideas guys!?

Thanks!

Ry

Certifications: 70-290, PRINCEII Practioner, ITIL V3F
    WIP: VMWare ESX VCP
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I'm not sure but the Microsoft 70-290 objectives don't mention it.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-290.mspx

I believe WSUS is covered heavily in 70-291 but i'm not sure which version.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-291.mspx

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nowt in the 70-290, loads in the 70-291 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. ryanthelion84

bluerinse/sparky

This is interesting...I have the first ed of the 70-290 text book and have just covered a whole chapter called '9 - maintaining the operating system' which was about SUS (Software Update Service) which i later discovered was replaced by WSUS 2.0 in 2006 and subsequently WSUS 3.0. This chapter also covered service pack update procedure and site licensing.

bluerinse...where abouts on the MS website are these exam objectives you speak of? Is it the 70-290 prep page found here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-290.mspx#EHF

if so....if you look in the 'skills being measured' section under 'managing and maintaining a server enviroment' you will notice the following entry: Manage software update infrastructure. - i would imagine this is it??!!?

Any ideas folks?!

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes well you will need to know about software updates ie service pack deployment i'm sure but specifically using WSUS, ie a centralised application to manage the whole network, i think not.

Go with sparky, he is an MCSA on the server 2003 track and has done 290 and 291. not that long ago :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just had a quick look through my 70-290 word doc and I did actually make notes for SUS. I don’t remember any questions in the exam for SUS though.

70-291 was completely different, there was loads of questions on WSUS, everything from configuration to server placement.

For the 70-290 you should be ok knowing the basics of SUS, what the requirements are (e.g IIS) and how the clients update from SUS (group policy).

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

This is another instance where real world experience with Windows 2003 Server is invaluable...sorry cant say more due to the Microsoft NDA...

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  8. ryanthelion84

Meaning what exactly? :dry