Windows Server 2008 Backup

Discussion in 'Software' started by LukeP, Jun 26, 2009.

1. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I have just deployed Windows Server 2008 1+1 combo. Is it possible to use backup feature not to back up C drive with it? I have my virtual machines on different drive and I would like to back up only them lot, not the whole server. Is it possible? Windows Backup utility has C drive checked by default and it cannot be unchecked.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  2. PAT

PAT Banned

you could alway make a script to copy file to a network share

3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

The inbuilt backup facility would get the job done as well, or better still look at acronis.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

What I am after is scheduling. I want to backup Virtual machines to separate external usb hdd each for every virtual machine. I want this to happen automatically on a daily basis.

How can I setup Windows Backup utility to back up specified folders and not the drives. What If I'd map a drive letter to every directory containing virtual machine and run backup against mapped drives? Even if I'd do so, how can I stop Windows Backup from backing up drive C?

I am capable of writing simple application myself, that would be able to run as a service and copy specified folder to specified location. Should I look more into that or is there a easier (and free) solution?

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I believe there is an option to filter downwards hence selecting a particular file or folder you want to backup. Have a play with it as you'd be surprise what you can find out as well as learn.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The backup in server 2k8 is quite limited, much more so than NTBackup (is that meant to be progress?).

Both are greatly enhanced with a program called Backup Asssist, which is quite cheap to buy. It comes with a 30day trial also.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I got to say I'm impressed with Windows Server 2008 Backup feature now. I back up the whole hyper-v host daily and from this backup I just managed to restore just the virtual machine I wanted to. After reading on the web I was expecting the need to restore whole hyper-v host with all the machines on it.
    Actually you can restore folders and volumes only which is more than enough to restore seperate vm's and not the whole lot.

Sorry for necro but it's been a stressful day (accounts data got corrupted somehow), and I just managed to put everything back on track using backup feature, so I thought I'd share.