Problem Windows Server 2003 to Vista pinging/connectivity issue.

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Samuel1, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Samuel1

Samuel1 Bit Poster

You are all very helpful! Thank you so much!!

So:

- To verify that a computer has networking set up properly, port 445 should be listening for incoming connections, correct? I would verify this by using the command netstat -a and checking for port 445 listening, right? When I do this, it shows me TCP 0.0.0.0:445 (local address) Listening. Why is it 0.0.0.0?

- What exactly is LMHosts?

- Why would anyone ever disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP?

When setting up ActiveDirectory last night, I was very confused as to why there was the domain name, and then a NetBIOS name of the domain name. I called the domain "NEW.DOMAIN" and the NetBIOS name, "NETBIOS_NAME" -- Why not just call it one name, and then have the NetBIOS name match...? I don't get that.

2. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Can you access the other workstations on the the network via \\computername from the vista machine?

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  3. Samuel1

Samuel1 Bit Poster

DC pr0Mo - I have resolved that issue with the Vista test system. The larger issue I am having is with my client, who has a Win7 system that was unable to access the \\Server which is a Win2k3 server, yet, can ping it, and everyone else can access it on the same network. So, yes, the Win7 system was capable of accessing other \\systems on the network... just not the \\server. I can't figure out why.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I take it there is only one Windows 7 workstation mate? Everyone else on XP? Also as I said before is this a domain or workgroup environment?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Samuel1

Samuel1 Bit Poster

Hmm, there may be other computers on 7... but I know for sure that there are other Vista and XP machines at a minimum. None of the other machines have any trouble accessing the \\server. I believe it is a workgroup environment. Is there some sorta "standard" diagnostics test I could run? I even tried to reset the TCP/IP stack (via this method) to no avail. The system did have dozens of tunnel adapters that showed up when I did a ipconfig /all, I have no clue what that was about, could that possibly have some kind of interference?