Problem Windows Server 2003 to Vista pinging/connectivity issue.

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Samuel1, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Samuel1

Samuel1 Bit Poster

Howdy all! First time poster, longtime reader...

A month ago, a client called me in to determine why his computer was unable to access the company's server. His laptop was running Windows 7, and the server was a Windows Server 2003. The NetBIOS name was \\Server, and the IP address of the server was known to me. I tested many other computers on the network, and determined that they could all easily access \\Server.

On the Win7 machine, I checked the ipconfig, and nothing was abnormal, but I could not connect to \\Server or the \\IP address, either. I could, however, ping it! So, how could it be that I couldn't connect to it? I even went over to the 2003 Server and tried to connect to the Win7 machine, and a connection was established that way. I disabled firewalls and anti-virus on BOTH machines during this testing.

My friend informed me that I ought to consider setting up a WINS server to solve those issues. So, I began experimenting with that, and figured out how to use WINS successfully. However... in my test experiment at home, I encountered a similar situation where my Windows Server 2003 box was unable to connect to my Vista test system. But, I could make a connection from Vista to the Windows Server 2003 box. Why?

I truly need to get to the bottom of this because I encounter these types of inconsistent networking issues and I feel as though I am probably missing something relatively obvious, but I can't figure it out.

I recorded a video of the issue, but I am unable to post the link due to being a firsttime poster, it can be retrieved by appending "watch?v=3MSMKBYDzcI" at the end of the YouTube URL.

Please chime in with your expertise -- I am most grateful. Thank you all so much for reading!

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Firewall enabled?

Try turning on network discovery in advanced adapter settings in network/sharing centre

Under the tcp ipv4 config, WINS tab, enable the LMHOSTS and set NetBIOS to default - see if any changes occur there.

if all other machines tested can access the server - it'll be client related, so no real need to go changing server settings with WINS etc.

has the client machine / user login got the relevant permissions to access the share?

edit:
    just spotted in your video at 1:44 - the network connection said it has received 0 bytes - not sure whats going on there...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i had a problem connecting my father in law's 2 windows 7 machines for a soho network, it turned out that if the 2 machines that need to talk to each other had a different time (even by 1 second) they would not connect to each other. Probably isn't the issue but worth a check. Apparently it's a security feature MS put in for what ever reason (probably to cause headaches).

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably just me but if you switch of windows firewall in Vista\Windows 7\Server 2008 it seems to cause problems. Just open the ports you need.

When you typed \\server on the Windows 7 machine what error message did you get?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Samuel1

Samuel1 Bit Poster

Thank you all so much for your replies!

I did actually *solve* the connection issue between my test setup. I disabled the (Windows) firewall on the Vista machine, and then suddenly I could ping it. Once I enabled network sharing & discovery, I could re-enable the firewall and it continued to ping and everything was fine.

However, with the Win7 machine and Win2k3 server, I disabled both firewalls on the client & server. So, it isn't a firewall issue. And, I was able to ping in either direction with success. The only thing I couldn't do, was access \\Server from the Win7 system. Curiously, when I went to browse the entire network, I could browse/see other computers on the network, *just* not the \\Server. So frustrating!

Sparky - I wouldn't know what ports to enable to allow a client-to-server LAN connection.

steve_p1981 - I will double-check the time settings. They should be set to synchronize with the time.windows.com server, right? You're saying that if you set the clocks manually they wouldn't connect? Because it would be near impossible to set two system clocks manually and get them to be correct by >1 second.

Apexes - I will check the LMHosts setting. What is that, anyway? Yes, credentials are in place for the client, but that doesn't matter since a prompt for credentials won't even show up. It just says something to the effect of unable to connect/locate \\Server.

It's bizarre!

6. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

I set the client pc to the pc that was acting as the file server's time manually so i only had to change one time. I don't know how this would affect any corporate networks as i've never worked with proper servers. I saw in your video that you had the 2 computer's right by each other so i'd open the clock on both to follow the second count and when it gets to the start of a minute click apply or ok to set the time and cross your fingers. But if they both have internet access and are set to the same time zone, then you should be able to sync them to what ever server MS use to sync the times of the pc's. That's my theory any way. might not work but it's worth a punt.

PS i have the windows 7 configuration book in my spare room. i'll look this query up and see if i can find a more substantial answer.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  7. Sparky

No error message no?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. Samuel1

Samuel1 Bit Poster

I got the standard error message saying, in effect, "Windows cannot access \\server" -- "The network path was not found." .. yet, again, I could ping the IP address of the server. They were both on the same subnet, gateway, etc. I just don't get how that can happen. Or what kind of tests I should do to fix it... \:

9. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Try changing the server authentication settings within RDP.

Run > mstsc > options > advanced > here you'll see the settings, make sure it doesn't say "do not connect" or something like that. You can select warn me or don't warn me.

Just a stab in the dark as I've not seen this before

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. Samuel1

Samuel1 Bit Poster

Thanks for chiming in! I was attempting to do a standard SAMBA (is that right?) LAN connection, nothing w/ RDP, so, would this still apply?

11. JK2447

To allow RDP through the firewall you should go to control panel, windows firewall, and theres a setting in there called allow programs. Allow RDP should be one of the options within there.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  12. JK2447

SAMBA crickey are you a *nix bod or somethin :S (a joke)

MSTSC FTW in purely windows environments my man

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  13. Samuel1

Samuel1 Bit Poster

jk2447 - I understand, but I disabled the firewalls on *both* the Win7 client and Win2k3 server anyway, and was still unable to connect from the Win7 to \\Server.

I used the term "SAMBA" because I don't know what it's called when you're doing a network share in Windows from one system to another. I'm not very good with Linux, no -- just don't know the terminology. ;X

14. Sparky

There are variations of the error message so just needed to know which one it was.

Anyways, is the laptop in the same domain as the server or is this a workgroup setup?

15. JK2447

Ah no worries mate I was only jesting with ya, what ever you are used too. I just thought samba was a *nix to windows remote session tool, but I might be thinking of completely the wrong tool here ha ha apologies if I am :S

16. Sparky

17. Samuel1

Samuel1 Bit Poster

Sparky -- I'll have to look into it. I don't *think* there was a domain involved, but I could be wrong. At the time I looked this over, I wasn't familiar enough with Windows Server. But now I know to look for domains, and a bit more about how that works. (I'm self taught with everything, so, relatively new to ActiveDirectory, WINS, and all that stuff). I am inclined to think that there is no domain, because the other people on the network seemed to just be logged in via regular workgroup...

jk2447 - I'm not sure either, but I appreciate the jesting :D

18. Sparky

Cool, if you check the full computer name it should tell you if the machine is a member of a domain or not.

As a test you could try sharing a folder on another workstation and connect to it from the Windows 7 laptop just to make sure it can connect to another resource.

What security\AV software is on the laptop?

19. JK2447

Just had a quick look at your video and those pings are very dodgy. I don't suppose you are wireless to the router using your laptop and someone else is the house is watching netflix or something like that perhaps? Probably a daft suggestion

20. Sparky