windows server 2003 DC dead

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by searchformeaning, Mar 31, 2012.

1. searchformeaning

searchformeaning Bit Poster

Hi, I have a problem with a windows server 2003 DC. Now it just boots up and displays a black screen. I tried to use chkdsk /f /r and it did not solve the problem. Formatting the hard drive and installing a fresh copy of windows is a disaster because it's the only DC in that environment. I would like to ask about the typical windows server 2003 repair procedure. At least to know what is the source of the problem because everything was working fine until I shutdown the server (normal shutdown) and then stated it up the next day.

Note: No hardware issues. Processor, RAM, and MOBO are working fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2012
    Certifications: A+, Security+, MCP
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Are you able to boot into safe mode? Its hard to fix something if we don't know what the problem is exactly. Also do you happen to have a backup of the system state of your DC? If you do, you could always restore.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

What theprof said but that shouldn't be a problem cause you create a daily backup of the dc right! If it is hosed and its the only dc and there is no backup you are essentially screwed you'll have to build the domain again from your own memory. if you can get into safe mode then you might be able to take a system state backup and copy it off the dc and rebuild it from there.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

Restore from back up and if you don't have a backup then you will have to do it from scratch. You should of backed the server up and if your company hasn't then they aren't doing their jobs right. Backups are probably the most important task to do correctly in IT period.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)
  5. searchformeaning

Unforetunatley, the one resposible for backup did not make any backups for that server. According to the responses I got on the forums, the server is screwed up :( . Anyway, I'd like to know how to make a backup of the system state. It's not my job but I'd like to do it myself next time not to depend on somebody else.

Thanks for your help

6. searchformeaning

Heh...yeah, it seems that the sever is screwed up. I cannot even get boot menu (pressing F8) to get into safe mode.

7. searchformeaning

last thing, what is the best reliable software that I can use to take an image of sever OS. I have tried both Norton Ghost and Acronis True image with client computers. But I am not sure if it'll work fine with servers.

8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You can back up the sys state with windows backup, its saved my ass on a number of occasions. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Acronis is good and there is a server version available. You can also restore the image as a virtual machine which is great for DR and testing before doing anything on a live server.

How is the DC – still playing up?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. searchformeaning

This is the best Acronis product I found so far. But I'll download the trial and see if it works fine with a virtual machine

Backup windows server using Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 Server for Windows

DC is screwed up. Noway to fix :(

11. searchformeaning

I read about system state backup while researching. I haven't done it before as I am not the one responsible for backup. But it's worth a try. Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  12. Sparky

Are you rebuilding the domain? Do you have any other servers (e.g Exchange) which *really* need the DC?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  13. searchformeaning

This is our old domain. It has only a file and print server and 100 client computers. I'll just get them out of the domain and rejoin them again after I install and configure a fresh copy of windows on the DC.

14. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Acronis True Image 20xx can and 'does' take images of servers if you're using a USB drive to boot from, obviously the software that you would install onto the server for backup purposes may not work but I know 'someone' who may well have used Acronis True Image 2011 to perhaps maybe move a server between hardware by going down this particular route.

Obviously if asked said person wouldn't openly admit to it in a public forum but I have it on good authority that it worked a treat (all the program cares about at that stage is copying the data across, it doesn't care what that data is, infact I have even used it to take backup images of my Iomega IX4 NAS drives before).

At £20 ish pounds for that version you may be better off exploring that instead of the full blown server edition if all you want to do is image the drive before rebuilding, obviously if you're intending to use it for future back up purposes then go for the full blown server edition but as I own a copy of the software (including the powerpack) that I update annually it's saved my bacon more than once.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  15. Sparky

100 PCs? Busy day for you mate :)