Windows Server 2000 - Missing NTLDR

Discussion in 'Software' started by onoski, Dec 5, 2009.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I was greeted first thing in the morning yesterday as soon as I got into the office that one of our file servers has gone down.

Well I rushed into the server room to find the old rusty Dell PowerEdge 6650 server running Windows server 2000 with an error message on start up screen "missing NTLDR file".

After taking a deep breath did the usualy clt + alt + del to restart but still faced with the NTLDR missing file issue. I opened the box and ensured all the raid configured hard disk are sitting properly and that there's no loosed scsi cables etc.

I inserted a win 2000 advance server cd and did a recovery console repair and copied NTLDR and NTDETECT respectively. Unfortunately the issue still persisted and made me wonder if these steps ever works in a production or even lab environment.

Microsoft to be blamed here as to be honest states in the document the above may or may not work in resolving the issue. I think that on it's own speaks volume:)

Comments on the above most welcomed and what if faced with the above the steps you'd have taken or have taken in the past that worked etc.

I was tempted to rebuild the system but that would have taken time as time was of the essence. However if we had cloned a copy of this system would have made life a lot easier.

Do you clone your servers at work i.e. copy of another live image etc, and if you do which software do you use.

Unfortunately we also didn't take an emergency repair disk of this server either. I know a rebuild and backup of the system state data and re-assigning the static ip address would have probably been the way to tackle the above. Please, comment if you would have done this a better or more efficient way etc.

Finally, the above system was connected to a NAS box via a SCSI adapter connected so was a bit of a complicated system.

Well enough said, any relevant and helpful comment most welcomed and thanks in advance:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What? No monitoring on your servers? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Bet you wish that were the case at 3am in your place mate :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Sparky

LOL! I know, we spend the money getting the monitoring software but then complain when we get a text at 3am when a server goes belly up! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

First, check there isn't a floppy disk in the drive.

Then, find out if your boot.ini file present and correct?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good point Bluerinse, did all the above but didn't change the situation. The server is over five years old and kind of like a time bomb waiting to go off.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It sounds like it just went booooom :twisted:

8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

It does - and did for me earlier this week when I resurrected a server where the boot.ini file had got screwed. It's rescued me on a number of occasions in the past too - though it's often a sign that the disk is on the way out. You DO keep backups of the data on the file server though, right? Run disk/raid diagnostics and see if they report a failed disk(s). Build a new server and restore the data to it from a backup if you can't get the original server back up.

Incidentally, I've got 6 PE6650s in our estate. Actually, I HAD 6 6650s at the beginning of this year - four of them have gone tits-up in the past eight months - usually borked PERC controllers, but also two failed disks in the same array on one server (second one went halfway through rebuilding from parity after the first failure). I hate Dell servers anyway (HP absolutely dump on them) but the 6650 seems to be particularly prone to 'POS syndrome'. Got four 6850s and they're far more reliable (though also being phased out for HPs next year)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
    Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Spot on Zeb, as that's exactly what we plan to do get the server rebuild and load system state from backup. Unfortunately, it did report a disk failure as well which I managed to resurrect but still it's a candidate for rebuild.

I must admit if I was the one calling the shots would go for new dell blade servers. But we currently have a HP SAN enclosure, two to be precise running server servers.

The reason the dell servers would have been opted for is because of their good customer care handling. If a server has ran out of warranty you still get telephone support with dell but HP is a no no.

10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

We do noticed server was acting weird for a few days but as the saying goes why re-invent the wheel. It was almost like a time bomb waiting to explode.

We do use Solar winds network monitoring system and I too for my own side monitoring use spotlight as well stored on a dedicated PC.

11. Sparky

Really? I didnt know that, thought you still needed to be under the warrenty status to get telephone support.

12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yeah! still do, but would get charged if an engineer is sent out for a part replacement. However, telephone support is free and they are very helpful too:)

13. Sparky

It was only a light hearted remark about the server monitoring. :biggrin

In saying that if you knew the server was going to fall over could someone not have arranged a new server? No point in waiting for downtime then replacing the server.

14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Unfortunately, it was one of those that you think well still working so hopefully would not give way yet type of scenario's. But hey ho:)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  15. colemancol

colemancol New Member

Hi I am Colemancol.
    According to my experience, NTLDR is missing message is shown only when, if system is not found NT partition loader.
    There is only one way to repair your installation of your windows.

16. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Lemme guess, rub it with ginseng, and point a webcam at it? :dry

18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

an axe for the hard drives and hammer for the rest of it is one sure way to sort it out :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback all, as the server has now been rebuilt and data restored to resolve issue. We are now dealing with the aftermath as most users can't gain access to their network drives.

However, a re-map of the network drive has resolved those too. It's been an experience indeed as especially this system being on a production environment.

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Stress hey, who said IT was easy? :rolleyes: