Windows RT Surface

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by simongrahamuk, Oct 17, 2012.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok, so that now pricing has been announced for the above what do you all think of it?

My thoughts are that for the cost of it they've just priced themselves out of the market, but only time will tell.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I think I can't wait for the iPad mini :D

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I agree with simongrahamuk. I was keen to get 1 RT and 1 PRO version, but damn, at this prices I'm not even sure if I want the RT version.

Why would they price a tablet that's new on the market the same as the market leader that's backed by thousands of high quality apps?
    If it was £350 with a touch cover, I'd be definitely getting one (as in pre-ordering). At £479 I think I might get Kindle Fire HD instead for the time being.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Its hard to say. I wouldn't say they've priced there self out the market as for £480 you are paying the same price as a 32GB ipad but with the surface you will get the keyboard. If i really needed a tablet then i would probably buy it as it seems like it will be really good to use as a laptop aswell with the keyboard. But in terms for just buying it because i fancy it its a bit to much money for me.

I am dreading to see how much the pro version is going to be after this RT version pricing. Although after going back onto the Surface website and seeing the improved description about the Pro version, it does really seem like its going to be marketed towards companys as a laptop/on the move product.

Pricing aside i am a fan of the design and think it will be a hit but maybe the price will stop this.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  5. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I think it's going to be a flop, as hard as that is for me to say as generally I do like the hardware that Microsoft roll out.

Then again I am not an Apple fan, but looking at the prices tablets coming out at, I cannot see why I would want to get a Windows Tablet when there are so many better priced Android devices out there.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  6. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Yea i just like the idea of the case/keyboard design. Will be interesting to see what other manufacturers do with there designs for windows 8 tablets

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I think the trouble with pricing their 32gb model at the price as the ipad, the ipad is a proven entity. I personally think you cant just wade in and expect to be at that level. Im sure the Microsoft device is great, I know Id love one, but Id have under cut Apple by 20 or 30 quid to turn up the heat. As it stands I think most will go for an ipad at 480 as no doubt everyones got a mate whos got one and raves about them. Just my 2 cents, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Ok, just found the prices on this site. I think that I'll be using my Iconia W500 with Windows 8 Enterprise (upgraded from Win 7) with a dockable keyboard or my iPad...

Pity, I had high hopes for this, especially since I can't wait for the Windows 8 mobile :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Am I right thinking that it's only available online in the UK?

Also, the prices were known from day one, on this site:
    Surface by Microsoft, Buy the New Windows Tablet

The tablet is definitely growing on me and I'm pretty sure I will be getting one. I love the USB connectivity and out of the box support for 420 million USB devices (going by what MS says, of course).

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  10. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I'm tempted though want to see more apps... Think I may wait for the pro version. It has potential just lacks the apps atm.

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

It looks like the consumerist world we are living it is beginning to take things to another level. The truth is most of us don't need a new gadget anyway:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I rather get the Pro then the RT version... Also for the moment I have a Motorola Xoom so that is keeping me busy. At the office once VDI is fully deployed, there's a good chance that we will adopt a bring your own device, when that happens, I would definitely be interested in a Windows 8 tab with a good keyboard/mouse.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I will definitely be investing in a Pro device, and it would be really nice if they could make one with 8GB Ram and 256GB SSD so that I could run a few VM's as well.

I guess I'll finally be able to play with an RT in the coming days, I'll let you know what I think of it.
    As the RT is not domain joinable, MSIT published some internal guidelines on how employees should configure (and secure) the devices appropriately.

I can try to find out if I'm allowed to share this advice :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  14. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Slowly getting used to mine which I received a few days ago. Typing isn't too bad, I'm getting faster but requires looking down at the keyboard more often. Instead of typing at a constant speed, I do it in spurts.

Rest of it looks nice, no crashes yet, some app updates along with Office (which updates via Windows Update and has a size of around 590MB...).

Some people asked me about it in the train, had fun showing them the device. Office apps work fine and using Excel today at a training.

Hopefully I'll still like it enough 3 months from now to want to buy the Pro version. And I hope the RT keyboard works on the Pro so I don't have to spend another hundred bucks for a second one. We'll see if this one survives 3 months of abuse (it feels so different, sturdy enough, but I wonder how well it holds up... it doesn't scratch that easily, so that's a good thing).

Feel free to ask questions if curious.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM