Windows Remote Desktop Licensing Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Javier, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Javier

Javier New Member

Hi,

I was trying to connect to one of my servers using Remote Desktop Connection, and got the following message:

The Remote session was disconnected because there are no Terminal Server License Servers available to provide a license

Since this is a Remote Desktop Connection, I thought no license server was needed (2003 is supposed to have 2 licenses for this very purpose, right?). This error is only happening in our DC, all other servers work just fine.

I've looked in google and found no similar cases, so I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else here, and if there are any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE Windows 2003 Cert
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

There is a difference between Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop. Remote Desktop does indeed require a license. I did a quick search on my laptop which runs XP Pro and came up with this from the Help and Support window:

The remote session was disconnected because there are no Terminal Server client access licenses available for this computer. Please contact the server administrator.

Cause: The license server cannot provide a license at this time.

Solution: Contact the server administrator.

Cause: Your computer is using an expired license, and the terminal server cannot get a new license from the license server.

Also, I search Microsoft's site for this message and came up with these links. Click HERE!

I hope this helps.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

use terminal service manager to see if anyones actually connected at present
    Remote Desktop requires a liscence, but windows comes with 2 administrations liscences for remote administration, if both are in use you wont get in, even if these are dead sessions

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Javier

Javier New Member

Hi,

I'd already checked on the TS Manager, and don't see any active sessions, all I have is:

RDP-TCP- which has a status of listening, so I assume that's the connection port
    Console- which is my current session

Is there somewhere else I should be looking for the dead sessions?

5. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Is the terminal server in remore administration or application server mode? If it's in app server mode there are no "free" licences after the initial 60 day temp licenses run out.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Is the Terminal Server running 2003 as per the rest of your network, Javier ?

I use this daily from my XP Pro box onto my w2k servers, with no probs (apart from when I forget to install TS on the w2k box everytime when installing it :oops: )

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Javier

Javier New Member

All the servers are running 2003. I found a article that said removing the service might help. Since I can afford to do a restart at night, I think I might try that out and see.

8. Javier

Javier New Member

I was trying to check on that, but while I know how to do it in 2000, I haven't found a way to do it in 2003. I'm gonna tray the 'get rid of the service' method and see what happens.

PS: It'd be nice to know how I can tell what mode it is on.

9. Javier

Javier New Member

Removing the service did the trick. I guess it was installed in app mode after all. Thanks to everyone.