Windows Music

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Dec 12, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Periodically, I order Dell Dimension 4600 PCs to replace the aging supply of computers used by the city. I'm responsible for configuring them with various applications, setting up their e-mail, putting on the anti-virus software and so on. I notice that when I first unbox the PC and boot it, Windows XP Pro loads and, as it starts the initial configuration, this pretty cool music starts playing (I've got speakers plugged in to test the sound). Anybody know if this music is unique to Windows PCs or what? If it's out there someplace else, what's it called? I know...I have no life.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hmm, not got an XP Pro machine installed right now, Trip - but as you've got my curiosity going, I may do one over the weekend (even tho' I still need to load a 2k Pro install somewhere)

You tried searching for the sound file on the HDD ? Something like *.wma or *.wav ?

Also, can't you set Media Player to find all audio files on the computer ?

Sorry if I've mis-read your post and you know where the file is, and just want to find out more about it - if so, my fault, I running on empty at the mo' - think I need Zzzz's :sleeping

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

It might be "Like Humans Do (radio edit)" by David Byrne, from "Look Into The Eyeball" album.

Go to shared music, it should be there.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

As you can tell, I'm a total idiot as far as music and sound files go on computer. If I want music, I either turn on the radio or go buy a music CD at a store. I'll look around. Thanks.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I guess I am an idiot. It never occurred to me that there was music already on my computer. I ran through the files stored in the shared music folder but none of them was the one you mentioned, flex. I'll poke around as time allows. Thanks.

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Flex is spot on, Trip - I think you'll need to fire up Media Player, and look under the playlists.

I think Windows 2000 Media Player uses a Beck sample - can't remember which track off-hand ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Do you mean the music in the blue screen part with the ? mark in the lower corner that prompts help as you set up XP.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I think I know what you're referring to trip. I've installed xp pro on my laptop about 60 or 70 times and it plays the same old sounds. I recently installed it on a compaq deskpro and after booting it had a totally different multicoloured screen and some really nice music (for a change).

Sorry I don't know where this music is. As everyone has said, search the hd for sound files.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Yeah. That's it. I know it's probably kind of dumb, but I like the tune. I was wondering if it's accessable after everything's set up. Ideas, fellas and gals?

10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I just did a search on my XP laptop and didnt find it Trip, my guess is its somehow intergrated into the little wizard. :(

Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Bummer. I was hoping I could retrieve it. The tune doesn't have any ending I could tell. I guess it was written and produced for just the XP configuration. Too bad.

12. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

why not just plug the output of the laptop into your laptop and get some recording software then leave it running for half and hour or so

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Guess I'm not so curious that I'm willing to shell out some greenbacks on recording software to record a tune I kind of like.

At middle age, you start measuring things by the "hassle factor". Is what I want worth the hassle. If it is...ok. If not, well then it won't get done. If getting to this tune falls beneath the "hassle threshold", then I'm ok with getting at it. I think spending money on it is above that threshold. Thanks for the suggestion, tho. :)