Windows Media Player 11

Discussion in 'Software' started by bmurray2005, Sep 20, 2006.

1. bmurray2005

bmurray2005 Bit Poster

iv had this problem before but i cant for the life of me remember how to fix it.

everytime i go to open a music/video file in wmp 11 i get a dialog box asking me to enter a serial number but i only need to click cancel to get the file to play.

anyone know how to get rid of this?

2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well thats a new one for me and I use WMP alot...I have never ever had that happen to me at all...u sure u havent installed anything else that might be causing this? did it happen when u had WMP10?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. bmurray2005

bmurray2005 Bit Poster

yes, it happened probably 2 years ago and i cant remember what i did or how i fixed it (it may have been a system restore come to think of it)

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

ok then my question would be when did the problem start this time round and what was the last thing u installed on the machine? I would check system restore and see what it might be...that will hopefully answer it for u...

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

(ahem) This IS a legit copy of Windoze, right?

I have come across this before with WMP11 - but I have to admit, the only time I've seen it was with a private client who was having, shall we say, 'more pressing stability issues'. These were largely (alright, completely) related to him having a pirated copy of Windows XP provided to him as an 'upgrade' by his kid, and having subsequently downloaded the Windows Genuine (dis)Advantage Tool a couple of days earlier...

One 'edcuational' discussion with him later on the problems of having teenage children in his house with unfettered access to his PC later - he purchased a 'real' copy.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to figure out exactly why the dialog box kept popping up in WMP but I suspect it was related to the fact that his kid had installed it from another source (the guy concerned had a rudimentary home LAN) and it was constantly attempting to validate itself using WGA.

If its not related to this and your copy of Windows is kosher, then you might want to look at running the uninstall routine for it. WMP11 is still only in beta remember - uninstall the version you have then try installing the latest build.

One other possibility is DRM - are the files you're trying to play DRM-protected? If they are, then WMP might have trouble locating the keys necessary to play them - especially if you've been sodding around with your music library location (WMP sometimes throws a hissy fit if you move your library files from the default location)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well to be honest Zeb, I know of a couple of people who have not so legit copies of Windows XP and they have WMP11 installed and has never asked them for any serial key and as the WGA it passed that too...but that is also a possibility...

7. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

When you install WMP 11, its goes through the validation process and checks to make sure you have a genuine copy of windows.

I beleive its the first step the installer takes :D

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes but you know what they say.. Where there is a will, there is a way :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

Yep there certainly is and I could certainly tell you a few but due to copyright issue's and the fact that I dont wanna get myself in trouble, I am going to shutup now :D

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526
  10. bmurray2005

bmurray2005 Bit Poster

11. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Just installed WMP 11 Beta 2 and seems to be running ok no probs so far :biggrin

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100