windows/linux AND networking question!!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by moominboy8668, Sep 11, 2009.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

fine , but if its recurring or your entire supply is the same model then it could cost more. or what if your supporting the actual product.

also it could depend on ones skills one person my solve it in 5mins another 3 hours !!!

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

As he hasn't said, I presume it's an unbadged / no model desktop. A locally built one etc.

Either way, whether it's a laptop or whatnot.. after a format, it will need XP installed and then the chipset drivers for the motherboard before loading the appropriate device drivers for LAN, video etc.

If not, there are likely to be many integrated devices that won't function properly.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

He hasn't said, he could say when been asked!

manufacture as in system builder or/and mobo , just some extra details to look at product specific issues.

I know that some manufactures don't officially support that chipset with XP because of issues

cough .. already said that :D
    but the most important step is the reboot in between

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

True, if it was a common or wide spread issue I would agree, in a one off case, but the new adaptor in.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well, you implied, whether intentionally or not. that installing the chipset drivers was needed if it was a laptop :)

6. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

See what Everest tells you the hardware is. Download the drivers for what it says it is. (If you're lucky, there will be a driver link within the software).

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  7. moominboy8668

moominboy8668 New Member

sorry, my bad!

it is a locally built one bluerinse but i should've said rather than left it un-said!

so, i'll go through the thread again, do me darndest and report back later on. thanks again folks.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ok thanks.. having all the necessary info helps a lot :)