windows/linux AND networking question!!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by moominboy8668, Sep 11, 2009.

1. moominboy8668

moominboy8668 New Member

hi guys! how you all doing?

this question is probably going to sound a bit confusing but i'll do my best.

a few months ago, my OEM Vista died. black screen no control over anything etc... tried my limited best but in the end just formatted and installed Jaunty Jackalope on my drive which pretty much worked out the box with some few teething probs.

after a while the "teething probs" did my nut in so i tried switching back to windows by installing first Vista and then when that didn't work i tried XP

then i couldn't get an internet connection at all. again, did my best but still there was a yellow "?" in device manager beside the ethernet card. i have tried all the options for different drivers in XP and Vista as well as downloading loads of appropriate drivers on another system but still get an "ethernet connectivity" warning in the bottom right.

so im stuck with ubuntu, which isn't the worst thing but i do like the way windows just does certain things for you like giving you sound straight away without spending hours trying to fix it yourself!

hope someone can shed a little light and i'm sure much more information will be needed from me, so any questions or help would be appreciated.

thanks again!!:p

2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

yellow "?" normally indicates that there is no driver, incorrect or windows cant determine the device type.

were you using retail over a oem?

i just wonder if the device is intergrated and you should look at your computers manufacture website or even the chipsets manufacture.

how about posting manufacture and model details for your computer overall?

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. xrchris

xrchris Bit Poster

Firstly to get a feeling for your set up - Is the networking provided by a separate card in your desktop/laptop or is it one that is integrated into the motherboard?

Certifications: HNC Computing (Software Development)
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Is this a desktop or laptop ?

Ultimately, if the former, just chuck a £20 network card in to get you connected ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. supernova

true something link a Intel pro 10/100 M .... no drivers required as they're supplied with windows

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

£20!!!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. supernova

well if your going to be pedantic, less than £20 :D

i see Intel pro 10/100 's for about £17, i know i brought them for less than £10 a good few years ago, maybe near £5 inc VAT.

if it is a laptop then its going to be about oem!!!.. seen it 100's of times

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Go to Maplins. You can get gb nics in there for a tenner. They're ****e, but they'll do the job

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

lol wasn't tryin to be pedantic, just didn't think NIC's were anythig like £20 these days, thought they were like £5-£10

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Depends mate, £5 for an unbranded NIC with crap driver, £10+ for a decent one with a good driver. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

True - I may be out of touch - it's been a couple of years since the business went down :dry

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  12. supernova

I am sure if he were to post details, we could fix this without buying another nic, as stated it could given be a laptop we just dont know this as a fact.

one thing i noticed about this forum is that people tend to jump to conclusions without all the facts or taking logical steps in eliminating problems.

13. Sparky

What is the make and model of the desktop\laptop mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  14. Sparky

More like the idea of a new NIC is just to get the OP back on-line. Difficult problem to troubleshoot when you dont know what the machine is etc. etc.

I agree that this problem is probably fixable without the need for new hardware.

15. xrchris

xrchris Bit Poster

Yeah I see the merits of both views. Personally I tend to believe its better to learn how to solve a problem rather than just throw money at the problem.

I guess we will learn more when the OP comes back.

Certifications: HNC Computing (Software Development)
  16. moominboy8668

moominboy8668 New Member

thanks for all the speedy replies folks! do my best to give the right info.

it is a desktop and the hardware is fine as ubuntu connects all on it's ownsome through network manager.

i got a list of hardware from the terminal as follows:

00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 ISA Bridge (rev a2)
    00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP67 SMBus (rev a2)
    00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 IDE Controller (rev a1)
    00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP67 High Definition Audio (rev a1)
    00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
    00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 AHCI Controller (rev a2)
    00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Ethernet (rev a2)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control

i have trimmed the list of usb devices etc for space.

erm... i have already been down the route of d/loading Nvidia drivers for the card which is built into the MOBO btw and no joy, more than possible that i didn't get the correct ones though. and i CAN get windows online using the ubuntu virtual box programme but thats using the linux connectio of course.

all the times before when i have re-installed windows, even over a linux distro, on other computers it happily connects pretty easily allowing me to get updates etc.

well kinda i suppose, the original OS was OEM Vista, but i have the retail discs including software and driver discs for XP and Vista neither of which help much. also when the OEM Vista died, XP was the first install i tried after formatting both drives so it should've been a fresh shiny install?

17. supernova

from that i am guessing its a laptop with the nvidia nforce 610m chipset .. is it a acer ?

if so go to acers website for the drivers

anyway

on a fresh install of xp

you need to install the chipset drivers first and reboot ... DO NOT install the NIC drivers

then once that is running install the NIC driver and reboot

if you post the make and model of the machine and even the details on the sticker that should be on it we should be able to help further

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  18. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Thats fine in a home setting but in a business you have to look at costs, will it cost the business more for you to sit around all afternoon or the £20 for you to fix it and move on. Off at tangent I know but some small problems are better fied by throwing money at them.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Er cough..

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. supernova

was a wild stab, okay so i missed that !!!! .. (i fixed a acer yesterday with same issue ..lol)

I just want a make and model .. come on ... it the first thing you ask in a support call

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009