Windows Home Server!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by simongrahamuk, Jan 9, 2007.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thanks to Snoopy51 over at MCSEWorld for this.

At the 2007 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas this week (see my special report), Microsoft previewed its long-awaited Windows Home Server (WHS) product, a Windows Server 2003 R2-based server for consumers that dispenses with the complexities of most Windows Server versions and provides the core storage, sharing, and remote access functionality that digital media and home networking enthusiasts require. It's an innovative and exciting product, and I'm happy to finally be able to discuss it. Chances are, if you read this site regularly, you're going to want Windows Home Server.

Codenamed "Q" (and previously codenamed "Quattro"), Windows Home Server is designed to be almost diabolically simple, and after two and a half years of active development, Microsoft feels like it's arrived at an interface that is simple enough "even for mom" while being powerful enough for even the most jaded power user. The only downside to WHS, from what I can tell, is that there won't be a public beta. Instead, Microsoft will open up the product to an outside private beta test in late February and then ship it in late 2007. But if you can bear the wait, take heart: WHS will be available via both standalone software and pre-made servers. In short, it's all good news. Let's take a look.

More at winsupersite.

Whatever next! :eek:

2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Reading that article makes it sound too good to be true. MS will find some way of making it completely redundant, probably by overpricing it. If they get it right though, it looks like it will be the mutt's nuts.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Problem is, home users have enough trouble using a workstation, much less a stripped-down server. I'm dreading the support calls from users who have bought it because they know just enough to be dangerous.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I can see it now...

Mum: Zeb - I've been fiddling around with my Windows Home Server (tm) and have applied something called a 'Group Policy' to my PC, Now when I log on I get this:

[​IMG]

:eek:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's when I start charging friends and family the same amount as I charge my business clients. :dry :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Has anyone started using this yet?

I've just been accepted on MS Connect for the beta and downloading it now...

Andy

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  7. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

Me too. We should keep in touch and pool resources.

All the above jokes and apprehensions aside, I think it is a great idea if implemented correctly. I just wonder whether MS will give us a copy for free when it goes 'live' :p

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCSA W2k3-Security, CEH
    WIP: CWNA, CWSP, CISSP