Windows Firewall

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stoney, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hello,

I know the general consensus for Windows firewall is to avoid it like the plague but I was just wondering if it is really that bad?

I've been using Zone Alarm (free) ever since I've had a pc that can connect to the internet and I have never experienced any problems. However, as I have become more computer savvy there are certain things I would like to configure on ZA that I don't have the option to, eg: open ports and allow incoming traffic from certain IP addresses. These functions are available in the Pro version.

I do wonder if the issues that people have had with WF are down to it being incorrectly configured and that if the firewall is configured properly it does its job.

I could be wrong but I just wanted to know what your thoughts/experiences were. If WF is that bad then I will probably invest in ZA Pro.

Thanks

Paul

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The problem with the Windows firewall is that it has *less* capability than ZA Free in some areas. Specificaly - it doesn't check *outgoing* connections. Such a check is useful if you have 'aquired' a nasty that is now trying to phone home!

You *can* add addresses to the 'trusted zone' in ZA Free I believe, which is one of your requirements.

Personaly, for your full requirements, I'd opt for ZA Pro.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Bit off topic Harry, but in your opinion whats the best firewall. I just use hardware one built into router, is there any need for a software based one? Cheers

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

To be honest, Its the only software FW that i use on my systems. My netgear router has an SPI FW built into it, which is better than the standard a lot of routers supply. So i dont see the point in tying up more system resources than necessary on a system i dont need. The windows FW doesnt have bells and whistles, but im confident enough in its abilities at what it does to let it go (and it shouldnt use too much of my resources).

To be fair to the windows FW, i think it may well still check outgoing connections. Im sure ive had alerts before asking me if i want to allow the outgoing connection.

It also helps that im competent enough to know the common pitfalls, and ensure that my other half is aware of them too.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. hbroomhall

Depends on the FW in the hardware. If it is a good one then there is less reason for the software one. I'd still use something like ZA Free to tell me *which* app is calling out. Hardware FWs can't do that without a lot of fiddly cross-checking.

Harry.

6. hbroomhall

Quoted from a M$ page here:
    Harry.

7. Raffaz

Im currently using a dlink g604t with the latest UK firmware, and im behind a NAT. Do ya think theres any need for software? Cheers

8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

ah. hmmmm i swear ive seen this. ah well...

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Same set up as me and I don't use ZA, just the built in Windows jobbie but I suppose it depends how paranoid you are :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

But I would have thought for the general user, the windows firewall and your routers firewall, that should be enough??

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It doesn’t matter how good the firewall is, users will always install dodgy software and every ActiveX component eve invented.

“thisisavirus.exe is trying to contact the internet to download crap onto your PC, do you want to destroy your PC? :twisted:

Obviously the user clicks yes and then phones you the next day as its your fault as you work in IT. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. hbroomhall

Spot on Sparky!

Harry.

13. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey guys, thanks for the response, some mixed opinions there.

I'd be quite happy to use WF in the office at work because I know we have a decent firewall protecting our LAN. However at home I'm plugged straight into a modem so I would rely heavily on the firewall software to protect my pc.

I'm going to buy a router in the near future so maybe I should save the money and put it towards a router with a decent firewall.

Cheers

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  14. Raffaz

Thats the same as i currently do, think il just stick to that, as il just end up using more system resources if i add another firewall.

15. hbroomhall

If you set up ZA correctly it switches off the Windows Firewall. Having two firewalls running at the same time *is* a waste of resources! :biggrin

Harry.

16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Vista's Firewall now checks incoming and outgoing traffic which should be quite an inprovement over XP. 8)