Problem Windows Firewall outbound exception problem

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Big Brotha, May 30, 2011.

1. Big Brotha

Big Brotha Bit Poster

How do you setup "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" on Windows 7 Ultimate, to allow Firefox to communicate when the setting is: "outbound connections that do not match a rule are blocked"?

Before I move to a more secure firewall such as Comodo, I want to be able to configure Firefox and Internet Explorer to pass through Windows Firewall, but I cannot access the Internet when I apply outbound rules...... Except for HTTPS sites (e.g. https://learningnetwork.cisco.com); Apprently "Private Profile" allows DNS DHCP & HTTPS by default but there is no blatant setting for HTTP.

I've used search engines and have seen guides and similar questions but no definitive answer yet,
    How can I open up Windows Firewall (VISTA) for outbound traffic to allow computer to see networked drives? - Stack Overflow
    Advanced Firewall Block All + Let IE & Firefox Through - Windows 7 Forums

Is there something obvious that I am missing? :oops:

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

The Windows Firewall is a POS. It won't protect you from anything worthwhile if you're not behind a NAT router, and if you are behind a NAT router, then you don't need to run it. 99% of attacks nowadays are malware attacks that get in through the browser. The WIndows firewall is useless at protecting against those.

That said, can you not just set it to allow a program through and select firefox.exe/iexplore.exe?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You would think, wouldn't you.
    I just tried it, same thing, HTTPS works fine, HTTP is blocked.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. Big Brotha

Big Brotha Bit Poster

Do you have IPv6 enabled?, it seems to have a lot of entries in the outbound rules list.

The setup is behind NAT,
    I wouldn't trust ANY software firewall alone and would always go for the layered security approach;
    Windows firewall is possibly the only Windows 7 firewall that, by default, allows any program to silently access the network without any visual clues or even logging the program name (the firewall log can be turned on to show basic information like port, IP address and time but not the program that initiated the connection).

I want to solve this because when I install a third party firewall, I won't be changing it back to a windows one, even if they make it "fit for purpose" in a move similar to the XP SP2 firewall upgrade

I've tried configurations using public and private profile, It seems like something simple is missing but I don't see it.