Windows desktop search/indexing

Discussion in 'Software' started by JonnyMX, Feb 5, 2007.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Has anyone else downloaded this spawn of satan?

It seems to like to download as a subtle addition to Office 2007 - one of these 'do you want Windows to help you' type things.

I would imagine it is a response to the Google desktop search.

Since installing it, my machine has started experiencing regular slowdowns and hanging. It's the only thing that has changed - I did a clean XP install not long ago.

It seems to index quite a lot, whereas the Google version only seems to index on request.

Anyone know how to remove the b@st@rd?
    Unlike Google, there doesn't seem to be a simple 'add or remove programs' option for this one...

:twisted: :blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

not sure what you have done wrong mate
    desktop search has a clear uninstall program listed in add/remove programs
    it also can be set to index when indle just like google and by default indexes very little (you can set it to index everything if you really want)

one thing it doesnt do at the moment is index mapped drives (3.0 its just a beta at the moment) but i can live with that for now

for the record i have it runnong on a Celeron with 512mb of memory without too much an issue

if your not using version 3 then check in add/remove tools, it may be listed as a Q number rather than 'Desktop Search'

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's not on there mate - which could point to a dodgy installation. I've tried to check the recent update history on the MS site, but I did a new XP installation on the weekend so I've got pretty much a million updates all on one day.

I've had a Google, and it seems like there are quite a few people complaining about problems removing it.

Spuninst.exe might be my next effort...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

yup found it installed it and took the bugger off just as quick.It was in the add/remove progs though

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong