Windows Defender

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Rostros22, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Installed the windows defender program today at work to try it out and see if it’s worth installing on all the machines here. I am trying to update windows defender but I receive the following error codes.

0x80240030

0x80072ee2

I have disabled my firewall locally and this does not affect anything. Done the usual Google search and tried a handful of possible solutions.

Has anybody else experienced this problem, or does anyone have any ideas?

Now I thought it could be a proxy issue / block but I presume seeing as windows updates and anti-spyware updates work fine this wouldn’t be the case, or am I thinking down the wrong path?

Not a major issue, as I say I am just checking it out to see if it is worth a global install.

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Can't really help as I've never used any of the MS anti Spyware things.

Something just doesn't seem right when MS produce an Anti-spyware program.........

3. Rostros22

Re-installed SP2 still no change.

Windows update does not work anymore so something has happened to my machine. Did some more research and found this about the error codes…

It is a method that Microsoft has devised to ensure that all users' systems are wide open to attack.

They do not want users to install any system protection. If your system has been modified beyond that of a vanilla flavour clean install Microsoft will refuse to allow you to upgrade using their own published upgrades.

The last time I had this problem the only way to solve it was to buy a new hard drive, format it, install a virgin copy of W2K, then run the Microsoft updates.

This worked fine until I installed programs that Microsoft is apparently unwilling to permit to be on a windows based system. These outlawed programs seem to include Symantec System Works, AdAware products, ZoneAlarm Products, Mozilla Products etc.

Now is this person right in what they are saying, or are they just a very bitter user!

I have installed Firefox on my PC but I can’t see it being this. When I run the windows update program I now get another error message 0x80072F78 which when looking up mentions proxy servers.

Before I start ripping my proxy server to pieces I am going to go and try this on a few more PC’s around the building.

4. Rostros22

I agree.

Although when my boss [the guy in the big office with a laptop, blackberry, mobile phone and BMW 5 Series but never leaves the office] walks in for his daily 'chat' with us and mentions "I have seen a thingy, on the Micro-what's it called site for security, look into it now Rostron..." I have no choice but to look into it.

Of course there are 15,000 more important things that I could be doing.

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Isn't Windows Defender a beta product? That being the case you shouldn't be surprised if it misbehaves!

I'd try uninstalling it and doing a roll-back to the date before it was installed.

I assume you realize that the quote you provide is a silly and unsubstantiated rant? :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Rostros22

Of course I do Harry! :biggrin

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

simon there are certain antivirus programs (NOD32) and Spyware doctor - which i both use at work and they both pick up that MS antispyware is infact spyware! :blink

hmmm i smell a rat!

EDIT err i mean frog! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't think they did, it was Giant software that designed it and Microsoft bought them out and tweaked it up a bit.

Microsoft have a history of including things in later operating systems which were the bread and butter products of third party companies. It started with bundling in IE, which had a huge detrimental affect on Netscape's browser suite. Then with XP you get a built in firewall etc. With Vista, I expect there will be other third party ideas and similar anti-virus / anti malware products bundled in.

Soon they will rule the world :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. hbroomhall

Good - you had me wondering there for a moment! :biggrin

Harry.

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Gotta pick at this
    and the Anti MS crowd will gank me for this i'm sure, but hear me out
    I know what you say may be in jest Simon, but this sort of thinking is out there in the industry and it hampers progress to no end

Microsoft traditionally did not take security too seriously, saying that, neither did anyone else! there came a point where attacks reached a critical mass and it takes a software giant the size of microsoft an age to change direction

take the trusted computing initiative, it was started in 2002!
    that means Vista has been written based around the new initiative from the ground up, with full review of all new code, legacy code, code dependancies, etc. I had a good insite into the MS development cycle at mondays summit and as someone already pleased with the majority of MS offerings I was damn impressed,

did you know the majority of recent MS releases reach EAL4+ on Common Criteria? thats higher than a Nokia/CP Firewall-1 box! thats right, the MS Firewall ISA 2004 is classified more secure than Checkpoint!

People need to realise that microsoft, whilst not being there yet (and who ever is in the security arena?) is moving in the right direction, at a rapid pace, and is making sure it invest heavily in it!
    do you know MS products now dont get released until the security team audit it? its no longer in the product teams hands to push the release, the independant security team have the final say, something thats never happened before!

anyway, just my 2c, and Yes defender is a beta, lets bear that in mind, that guy is most definatly a disgrunteled user as im sure plenty of people use defender and firefox just fine! :)
    Also bear in mind that MS anti Spyware (now Defender) beta is the most downloaded product in MS history, more so than XP SP2, more so than WMP etc, that said, im sure there are more than a few people running opera, firefox, and other OSS and non MS products, cant say i have a problem at work and I use all three browsers and Defender :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. hbroomhall

Just to add to Phoenix's post - M$ Defender is now classed very highly on Castlecops which is dedicated to removing trojans and the like.

Harry.

12. Rostros22

I am not having a go at Microsoft at all, just wanted to know if anybody had come across those error codes before.

The guy that I quoted obviously has something against Microsoft, I only posted it as I found it to be funny! :biggrin

Defender is a beta I know, just trying it that’s all.

13. hbroomhall

The first error code comes up as a proxy fault.

The second as a front-end to another fault.

(this from google)

I'd still uninstall and roll back!

Harry.

14. Rostros22

Don't worry I will be doing when I am back in work tomorrow. I pulled those descriptions as well from Google.

Like I said before I am only messing about with the install as the BIG boss read about it in his numerous weekly computing magazines. Tomorrow I will go into work and I will be welcomed with "Stuart I read that Microsoft are bringing out an OS called NT.."

The way it goes! :biggrin

15. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Sounds like you have a pointy haired boss that is big on style and drive by management but lacks genuine technical and business justification abilities.

At the very least he should ensure that you have adequate timeline to test all this and training if neccessary.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  16. Rostros22

Yes he is the boss from the Dilbert cartoons long lost brother :biggrin

17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Harry, do you mean that it's classified as a good product or as bad spyware/maleware? Also could you provide a link to this please (it's a blonde day for me today).:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  18. hbroomhall

It's classified as good!

I've posted about Castlecops removal proceedure before, but here is the relevant page again:
    http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview

Harry

19. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hey Phoenix that's a damn good post mate and loads of useful info.

Is here a link to that info, cause I would really like to read up on that. Great to know that MS are catching up.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong