Windows components

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sparky, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, lets say you add a Windows component to your install. When installing there is a prompt for the Windows disk so you put the CD and then the component is installed.

You then uninstall the component and then reinstall it but the second time there is no prompt for the disk, why is this? Is it in the I386 folder somewhere?

I have a problem with a server right now and I *think* reinstalling a Windows component may fix it but I don’t get a prompt for the OS CD as the component has been installed previously.

Any ideas? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

As far as I know it hides itself in one of the special directories for this sort of thing. It isn't there on original installation because M$ still have a lingering memory of people with small disks. :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Slightly related to this topic, I came across a script recently that will point Windows to the i386 folder (after you copy the desired files) instead of nagging you to insert the CD for such instances.

If anyone needs it, send me a PM.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

There are a few registry keys you need to change for that, I guess the script just changes them?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Baba,

Looking at it, you change;

HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup\sourcepath

Regards

Si

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sparky, which windows component and what is the problemo?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Sparky

I think I may have fixed the problem.

Basically I couldn’t configure SBS fax in the Management Console, I got a error message saying that the fax service was not installed even though it is.

I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it from Windows components but no joy.

However I found another way of reinstalling it (this also applies for other SBS components) by going into add\remove programs and then selecting the actual install of SBS and then select change\remove.

After that you get the original SBS to do list and then you can remove the fax component. I rebooted and then went into add\remove programs again, selected SBS and ONLY highlighted Fax services. Problem fixed!

I would recommend trying this in a test environment first as the wizard looks the same as when you are installing SBS which made me think I was going to put everything back to default, no Active Directory users? Arrgh! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Spark,

Glad you sorted it- thanks for sharing it, something to bare in mind that one.

Si

9. Sparky

No problem. The amount of f**ked up SBS boxes I have inherited over the past couple of months is an absolute joke (Fax problem was on a new clients server last week). I have another one lined up where there is a SBS box and all the local clients connect to it with POP3 settings for email. The guy who installed the network didn’t bother to add the PCs to the domain and give them proper Exchange profiles. :rolleyes:

The guy must not have any certs, hee hee! 8)

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL you must have been pooping yourself :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)