Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year

Way back in August, three months before the release of Windows 8, we learnt about the existence of a project at Microsoft codenamed Blue. At the time it wasn’t clear whether this was Windows 9, or some kind of interim update/service pack for Windows 8. Now, if unnamed sources are to be believed, Windows Blue is both of those things: a major update to Windows 8, and also the beginning of a major shift that will result in a major release of Windows every 12 months — just like Apple’s OS X.

Read the article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    jk2447 likes this.
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. simongrahamuk
      simongrahamuk
      Interesting read.......
    2. ade1982
      ade1982
      Sure as hell not many people will certify in them.

They make their money in licenses though. I want one good OS every two years, rather than two bad ones.
      BraderzTheDog likes this.
    3. SimonD
      SimonD
      So that's the start menu back and the option to launch back to the desktop rather than Metr... Modern UI then.
    4. BraderzTheDog
      BraderzTheDog
      Hmmm, I don't know if releasing a new windows every year is a good idea... As far as I've seen up to now they seem to make a good version of windows then bad...

Good then bad / good then bad... Xp was good Vista bad... Windows 7 good Windows 8 bad... :(

I've not had much chance to use Windows 8 but from what colleagues at work say, its more of a tablet based OS and the nitty gritty is hidden. I mean c'mon asif they did away with the taskbar on startup!

Maybe I'm stuck in my old ways but I don't think pulling them out this quickly is not a good idea. Still love you bill, still not a mac fag... Yet... ;)
    5. JamesEubank
      JamesEubank
      Hey this is James,
      I think thats very great name, that has made, but let's see what would be this window look alike, as Windows 7 & 8, have almost same in appreance...
    6. JK2447
      JK2447
      How the heck would you certify in something like that :S
    7. B33 ENN
      B33 ENN
      Microsoft must be losing a lot of market share behind the scenes to go for a stunt like this. I personally am not a fan of the already short release cycle as I don't believe their core business market wants to be pushed to keep up as it is. Most tend to skip a version in favour of stability and familiarity, having to justify new functionality against the upgrade costs. From what I've seen in real-world use, many have only recently replaced Windows XP with 7 over the last year or so, and are saying it will likely be in service for a similar period.

I think Microsoft is missing the many advantages software has over hardware, which once obsolete must be replaced more wholly. They'd do better to create a core Windows platform which lasts at least 5-6 years and create modular expansions that augment functionality as new technology is developed. They already market this in an unfriendly way by dividing the operating system into 7-8 versions which are essentially just features locked out from the Ultimate version by price point. Instead, they should create fewer base versions of the core, and allow users to buy new and additional features individually or in packages as they see fit according to their needs.

I feel this would also be the best way for Microsoft to tap into the micro-transaction model everyone has been moving towards, but without alienating more users because it would be less confusing for consumers, easier to adapt to for enterprise customers, and more predictable for training IT support staff.
      Last edited: May 21, 2013