Windows 8 thoughts??

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, May 13, 2012.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Those that tried Windows 8, what are your initial thoughts? I have to admit, I am not too crazy about it... I played around with it for a few days. I know its only consumer preview and things can still change, but for the time being I am not that impressed.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Me neither. I definitely don't like the metro interface. I was very happy with Windows 7, having missed out the dreadful Vista completely, so maybe they will get it right with Windows 9. They are clearly playing down to tablet / phone users, as they aren't doing well in those markets.

3. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I'm more interested to see how this will work with Windows 8 tablets. I think it would be cool, If you could dock your Windows 8 tablet so that you can use a Mouse/Screen/keyboard etc - I can see this this working really well for business use. So much more friendly than a laptop! You could do this with other tablets, but I feel Microsoft could have this spot on. The integration with Windows live and Skydrive could be awesome...

I hardly touch my laptop, I so prefer my tablet, it turns on instant - does what I need it to and love every moment! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I am running it on my laptop and my tablet (Acer Iconia), and this is my thoughts:

For: Laptop (and I assume the same thing would apply for desktops) - I dislike it.

For: Tablet - I actually like it, it was designed more for the touch screen, imo. The only thing, so far that I don't like is the swipe to get to the Settings (inc the turn off, restart, etc)

For: Enterprise - not sure, but I'm getting good-ish vibes, especially since we're going to be trialling iPads and virtual desktops (I tried Windows 7 on tablet and hated it). But then again, as MS has only released a consumer preview version of it, my good-ish vibe can turn bad really fast :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That's the thing, its probably going to be fantastic on tablets and it's a good idea to have standardization on Desktops/laptops, tablets, gaming consoles, etc.. but I personally don't see my self buying touch monitors to take advantage of the metro interface on a desktop. I don't know too much about the OS yet, haven't really used it that much, but I have a feeling I'll be on Windows 7 for a while. I will definitely give it another try when its RTM because we can't really assume anything about it until its released to manufacturers.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I dislike it, so much so that I have since moved to Ubuntu at home on my main rig, even thinking about moving the wife over as well.

I still use Windows both at home and work as I am no where near being an expert where Linux is concerned but I can tell you that I am giving Windows 8 a miss unless they bring back the start menu and allow us to cleanly get rid of Metro.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I can see what they are trying to do, jumping on the consumerization of IT etc and trying to make an appy front end. My thoughts so far is ... Meh!! It seems ok but whenever I've tried it I've always found myself just going to the desktop. It would be much better if they just released 8 as a tablet version only, I dont need large gaudy buttons and swiping motions on my laptop/desktop. I'm much more excited by server 2012 that is far better.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
    Bluerinse likes this.
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Actually I dual booted Ubuntu with Windows 7.. I am tempted to give Linux a try as well...

9. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Really dislike Windows 8 on a PC/Laptop. I have not tried it on a Tablet yet, and it will probably do well in that market.

I use Linux as my primary OS at home, and use Wine for anything Windows based.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  10. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

No one I have spoken to wants the Metro interface within their business of institutiuon. I think Microsoft may not get the migration they hope for with this one.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Could you let me know if your wife works better once you've installed Ubuntu on her?
    My wife has been experiencing unexplained crashes of late and doesn't seem to be working quite as efficiently as before.
    I was thinking of trading her in to be honest, but now you've got me thinking that just installing a new OS might be the answer...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Have you tried patching with the latest firmware? The new update includes silent mode, over 200 new cooking receipes and improved cleaning throughput.

HTH!

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  13. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

opportune moment to post this!

14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It was only a matter of time...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  15. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I wonder how much as a percentage or disk size that joke takes up on the entire webz?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  16. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Simon,

Just out of interest why ubuntu? why not any of the other big names?

17. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Personally for me, its the Linux distro that I am most familiar with, yet have not mastered it.

18. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

I haven't tried windows 8 yet myself but from what ive seen in videos etc it looks like its going to be great to use on a tablet and i look forward to buying one. Have stopped myself buying any tablet the last couple of months in the wait for it.

Like people have said in regards to using it on a laptop or pc i thought it might be a bit odd using it on those platforms.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  19. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Hi Dale,

I had tried Mint recently but I am one of the minority who really likes the Unity interface, I don't know it's just not Windows (KDE) and Gnomish, more Mac like.

Also add to the fact that work have a plethora of distros on the go and it was speaking with a couple of the guys who all suggested looking at Ubuntu (we have Fedora, Ubuntu and Centos on various machines).

So far I really like it and it's getting back to basics with command line as well. I managed to install Diablo 3 on it tonight, sure it wasn't straight forward but I had it up and running in about 40 minutes.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  20. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Cool thanks, I've never really got on with unity myself a couple of jobs ago we were a Novell and nix so quickly got used to red hat and centos . For home I really like openSUSE, although saying that I have not tried unity in a while perhaps ill give it another bash.

Free lunch Thursday??