Problem Windows 8 pro Build 9200!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Juelz, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Ugh.. I don't even know where to start with this story tbh as it dates back around two week ago so I will just get to the actual problem, I have Windows 8 on my laptop but its the Pro Build 9200 version (whatever that bloody means), I have looked and looked and looked some more for an answer to what the hell pro build even is. from what I gather its a trial Windows 8 version which will probably expire after 30 days..? I try to look for a legitimate pro build 9200 key retailers (as I don't know what key to really get or if they will work) and all I get online is people trying to bypass the system with dogey keys which do not work (so I've been told). It would be good to clarify that this is actually a trial version of Windows 8 and not some weird setup, I mean it tells me to activate it via buying a key or entering so it must be a trial.. though when I go to clarify the expiration date by typing "winver" in the run command, I get absolutely no info in regard to expiration just that its windows 8 pro build and it is registered to my laptop username..

Does anyone have any experience with this? I did install via a bootable USB from an ISO.

2. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Windows 8 comes in a number of editions, I would suggest you have "Professional" installed which is a retail version of the product from how you've described it above. (Right click computer and choose properties to confirm - this will also tell you if your product is activated)

9200 is the build number, which is the latest Windows 8 version you can get.

If you are running Professional and have not entered a retail key during the installation then you are not currently running a licensed version of Windows - as you say it's likely in trial mode if this is the case.

To sort the problem, I expect you need to enter a retail product key in the windows activation settings area.

Hope that helps

3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Windows moved to the activation model in Windows XP retail, before activation you are using unlicensed software so you are not legal. You get a grace period and then you are breaking the license terms.

The media you used should have come with a license if it was valid media. Retail media is supposed to be used on only one computer and the activation enforces this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Product_Activation

Its normal to give software a build number, writing professional software is a difficult process and this helps track issues.

http://www.howtogeek.com/140411/learn-the-secrets-of-the-windows-build-number/

4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

So what would the implications be after the grace period? I heard the laptop would keep shutting itself down after? tbh, I don't really want to spend money on a key as I don't really use my laptop but there doesnt seem to be a decent alternative. I have now installed Ubuntu but suffering compatibility issues in regards to the built in NIC, it works with an adapter but I get ridiculously slow speeds.

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Basically the install of Windows 8 that came on my laptop was active with an OEM licence something went wrong with my upgrade to W10 and it turned out I clean installed it meaning W10 was not activated, tried to return back to W8 thinking it would activate itself with the built in key but with no joy (as well as trying every method on google), contacted Acer who basically said pay or go away. (short version)

7. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Acer should be able to provide you with the recovery media for your laptop.

You can then enter the OEM key for windows 8, as long as the image your using matches what the OEM license entitles you to - the only thing you may have to do is ring MS to reactivate the key. Although as you've not changed the HDD or Motherboard you 'should' not have to in my experience.

So if your laptop had Win8 pro before you should be OK. If not, you need to get the right image. As I say Acer should be able to help you here. Here's the link to Acer page with the details of how to obtain recovery media. http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16593/kw/Recovery media

8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

lol contacted them they said its not there problem and to go to the store I bought it from even though that was 2yrs ago. They said any laptops bought from Currys/Dixon group is not supported by Acer.

EDIT:After then a merry go round between currys and acer each one passing the bucket I was told pay £51.80

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015