1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8 deploying image

Discussion in 'Software' started by matthew1404, Jun 9, 2013.

1. matthew1404

matthew1404 New Member

After deploying a windows 8 image using winpe 4.0, the OS will not boot and i am prompted with the following error:

Windows Failed to start
    status 0x000000f
    The boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors

To resolve, i boot from the windows 8 disk and access the recovery command prompt and apply the following command:

bootrec /rebuildbcd
    My PC then boots into windows successfully.

I successfully deployed the image once using winpe however any other attempts now fails and i am having to manually repair using the windows 8 disk.

My methods in preparing the winpe media

1. Access the Deployment and imaging tools environment
     copype amd64 c:\winpe_amd64 
    (64bit os)

I then mounted the boot.wim and edited the startnet script and added the diskpart.txt file which contained the following:

select disk 0
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    assign letter "c"
    format fs=ntfs label="os" quick
    i then added a deploy.cmd file with the following commands

net use z: \\unc\unc
    dism /apply-image /imagefile:z:\myimage.wim /index1 /applydir:c:\
    bcdboot c:\windows /s c:
    I then unmounted the boot.wim and run the makewinpemedia /ufd command to store onto usb

All works fine and i can see that all above commands run successfully when booting into winpe however after reboot, i am prompted with the bcd/boot error and find that windows cannot start

I have tried recreating the winpe files and reapply to usb/iso however nothing appears to work.