Windows 8.1 vs 8.1 pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by shadowwebs, Feb 22, 2014.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have bought a HP amd a8 4555m from Currys the other day, brought it home and have started to use it, had it less than a week and now I realise its only got 8.1 standard and not 8.1 pro, does anyone know of any easy upgrade method that can be used rather than having to buy a full licence to make the switch?

Otherwise, am I best to return the laptop to Currys as it's within 28 days of purchase for a refund / credit note and then just buy a laptop with 8.1 pro?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Would swap it mate.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

unfortunately on speaking with Currys they have said that they do not accept returns on any laptop once it's been opened... I will just use my PC or run 8.1 pro through a virtualbox vm to get the benefit of some of the extras if needed... not all bad in the end

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

You can upgrade to Pro anytime, using "anytime upgrade". Just do a search for add features and follow the instructions (get your credit card ready too).

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013