windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Jun 27, 2009.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Now then, windows 7, has anyone here Im downloaded the RC copy of windows. Im running mine on a dual boot set up and im on win7 now, i can only seem to come to the conclusion that its still vista, wiith a few added bits and bobs, and different sounds and desktop background??? or am i missing something big here???

Any thoughts on win 7 anybody

ZX

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Early days mate.....

The speed and reliability seems to be much better than Vista for a start.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I'm using Windows 7 RC on both home machines. I think it's faster than Vista. And I will be getting 2 ultimate copies for home use as soon as they're released. If I had to put them in the order which one I would use in a workplace, it would be: 7, XP, Vista (It's 3rd because of lack of other versions).

RC version has some issues though. Network code is poor and sometimes network adapter needs to be disabled and enabled to get it to work after boot. On the other side wi-fi works like a charm on a laptop.

To sum it all up, I kind of like it.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I've been using Windows 7 since the beta (now using the RC release) and I have to say that the laptops that we've used both Vista and Windows 7 on have had both speed and performance improvement with Win 7.

While in the beginning I would have said that Windows 7 was more of a service pack than a new OS, however since the release the RC version with the additional feature (including the new virtualisation features), Windows 7 stands out. I would say it would be an equivalent jump from Windows 2000 to Windows XP.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I can see what your saying ZXSpectrum but I think Win 7 is deffo a "whats under the hood" upgrade from Vista.

Like Ken all my scores on my laptop jumped up using Win 7. From 5.0 on Vista 64 Ult to 5.6 on Win 7 64 Ult

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

So far, Windows 7 "out of the box" loads and runs faster and better than Vista does. I just hope they don't add a bunch of unnecessary stuff to the final release.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Windows 7 to me feels like what Vista should have been in the first place. Have been really enjoying using the RC as my main OS since it came out.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

I like the clever way it runs programs in a virtual mode without having to run it inside a virtual machine.

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  9. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I noticed in the windows7 comparison sheet that this filetype support is missing from anything lower than Enterprise/Ultimate.. Is this a built in thing only missing and we can still run these filetypes on VM apps or does the OS not allow it at all?

Source for comparison: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  10. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

anyone? :/

11. Kitkatninja

By asking like that, you're putting people off answering you. However since I'm a nice guy:

Are you actually reading the chart properly? It's .vhd booting, not support for .vhd's within Virtual PC. There is a difference:

VHD boot demostration vs Virtual PC

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  12. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Sweet thanks! :)

Yea I know it can put people off but nobody had replied and I figured most people will have already read and closed the thread. I also wasn't sure whether or not I should open a new topic or hijack this one, as sometimes people just glance at one and realise they've read it, then close it..

I also got away from the number-of-the-beast post count by posting my "anyone? :\" :P

13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

VHD booting is in fact, quite the daddy
    if only it supported more OS than just the two currently ;)

great thing is, I can boot to the VHD, or fire it up in VPC/Hyper-V, very cool

I am using Windows 7 x64 Enterprise Edition, final release on all my systems now, even my lowly netbook with 1GB ram and my aging Macbook (it's white, and caps out at 2GB ram, that's how old it is!)

loving it all,

to the above poster,
    "I like the clever way it runs programs in a virtual mode without having to run it inside a virtual machine. "

This is not in fact true, it runs a virtual machine in the background and seamlessly displays the app, this is a combination of technology from Med-V and VPC, cool stuff to support :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Try telling Sophos that, they are throwing a strop over it. :)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/21/win7_xp_compatability_row/

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I don't think that's something I'd benefit from myself, though it sounds cool. I think I should be able to get away with the Win7 Pro, without missing out on any of the essentials.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :D

*Edit* Ugh, I see the difference is only £10 - might as well get Ultimate anyway

16. Kitkatninja

Looks like the Enterprise version of Windows 7 has the same features as Ultimate, so will be installing that :)

-Ken

17. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I'm disappointed with the upgrade program, from what I read you have to get you new laptop/pc between June 26, 2009 and December 31, 2009 to qualify for the free Vista to Windows 7 upgrade :(

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Why is that disappointing?
    the availability of Windows 7 and it's release in Q409 or Q110 has been known for some time, to buy a laptop knowing that is to say 'well i really need the hardware, so I'll buy it anyway' or 'the upgrade is not that big of a deal to me'

That doesn't mean you can't get the upgrade pricing, just not the free upgrade, those free upgrades are usually reserved for people who really did ONLY JUST buy the product and don't want to seem jipped
    I bought my Mac in August 07, Leopard came out in October, I had to pay for it, oh well, it was worth the upgrade cost

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...which is similar to their previous upgrade programs. :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I just said I was disappointed, my new vostro was out by 2 weeks.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)