Windows 7 - Virtualisation

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by ScoobyDoo, Jun 20, 2010.

1. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

I am looking for a laptop capable of supporting Windows 7 virtualisation. (My current laptop runs Win 7 perfectly well - but the BIOS won't allow me to switch on virtualisation.) Any suggestions. After the summer holidays I am going to start studyng for the Windows 7 exams.

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You just need to ensure that the processor has either Intel's VT or AMD-V capabilities.

As an example I use an old HP 2510p laptop, it's a 1.2ghz processor that has VT capabilities where as my Lenovo X60 with a 1.4ghz processor doesn't.

Next I would suggest you look for a laptop that can take a minimum of 4gb of ram, more if you can.

For a portable virtualisation capable laptop you can't go much wrong with a second hand Alienware (Dell) M11X laptop, go for the one with the SU7300 cpu however because the lower spec cpu doesn't support VT. The M11x also supports 8gb of ram.

My next virtualisation laptop is actually the larger M15x with an i7 620m processor and 8gb of ram, just waiting on the 8gb turning up before I swap out the 2510p for the M15x.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The BIOS of the laptop/desktop also has to support turning the feture on. On some laptops I have found it's on by default (no option relating to it). On others there is an option to enable / disable. Unfortunately I have also come across laptops where the process supports it, but the system board doesn't, so you just can't use it. Unless of course they release a firmware update to add support in.

My last work laptop definitely supported it (MSI EX625) as does my current one : Acer Aspire 5740G (Core i5 version)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

When you say "supporting Windows 7 virtualisation", do you mean you want to have a laptop with Windows 7 that can run Windows Virtual PC?

If "Yes", then you can use a laptop that doesn't have HAV capable processor, see here. Microsoft has released a hotfix to allow this now :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

Thanks to everyone for their time - particularly WAGNERK. You have saved me some money.

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No worries :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I think you'll find you now owe him money! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada