Windows 7 Upgrade Product Key

Discussion in 'Software' started by andylad9, Aug 8, 2012.

1. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Hi Guys – I need help or advice activating Windows 7.

I’ve installed a new SSD in my PC and used my Windows 7 upgrade disc to install the OS (the PC had Vista on it years ago).

The product key I have won’t work because it is an upgrade key only. The first round of calls to Microsoft have basically said too bad…you must install Vista first and then upgrade.

I am aware of and understand what they are saying, but I just think it’s completely daft! Why would I want to go backwards installing Vista just to upgrade to 7 when I’ve already got a fully functional Win 7 OS up and running. I just need someone to update my Product Key.

I’ve been transferred halfway around the world and back all morning and put on hold for 30mins with Microsoft Customer Service Team on 08448 002 400 without talking to anyone.

Any advice? Anyone got their Product Key updated?

Cheers

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
    dmarsh likes this.
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

This is Microsoft's official response to this scenario...

Sadly, it looks as if that "too bad..." attitude is the only one they are offering.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I thought there was no upgrade path from XP... Got to love their official responses.

Unless they expect you to clean install XP. XP to Vista and then Vista to 7.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yes, you can, but it's not really an upgrade install...

Again, official response:

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yes as above its not really an upgrade I suspect under the hood all the win7 dvd is doing when "upgrading" from xp is check for a few key files on the drive (c:\windows\blah for example), before then nuking it all and installing win7 clean.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yep totally agree, the MS licensing system has gone mental, basically unless you pay top dollar for the retail version its pretty likely you will face issues somewhere down the line because :-

1. You have no disks because its an OEM laptop install
    2. You have the wrong media
    3. You have the wrong key
    4. You have the wrong 32/64 bit version
    5. You have an upgrade versus the full version

I can see maybe the pirates have forced the situation, but now its largely honest users that are suffering and losing the ability to use software that they own. Someone really needs to challenge some of the more restrictive license terms in court.

Basically I think Ms just wants you to pony up more cash all the time and not re-use software. The recent 'EU Court allows resale of downloaded software' decision however gives some hope...

Why can't they let consumers register keys in an online wallet and then use this to give you free dowloadable copies of media as well as manage your keys etc. Upgrade installs could then be controlled solely by license key and the key replaced with the full version key provided you had the right previous keys.

Basically there should be limited versions of physical media and everything should be key based.

You don't need 10 different disks to get linux installed, you stick in one 64 bit install DVD and you're good to go on most modern systems...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  7. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Righty Oh - it can be done. Phew.

I just needed to talk to someone at Microsoft who understood and wasn't following some pre-planned responses! They sorted it in 5 minutes.

- msdt.exe, enter a MS code, fixes applied, reboot and enter old product key. Bobs Your Uncle.

Thankfully I don't have to go through Vista.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
    RichyV likes this.
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

For clarity, it might be worth fully documenting what you had to do there (from initial OS install onwards) so that it's clear for future reference

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present