Windows 7 to have an 'XP mode'

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Windows 7 to have an 'XP mode'

Microsoft is trying to make it easier to sway users of Windows XP onto the latest version of its operating system.

For some time now, the company has been quietly building a "Windows XP mode" that uses virtualization to allow Windows 7 to easily run applications designed for Windows XP. According to sources familiar with the product, the application compatibility mode is built on the Virtual PC technology that Microsoft acquired in 2003, when it scooped up the assets of Connectix.

By adding the compatibility mode, Microsoft is aiming to address one of the key shortcomings of Windows Vista: its compatibility issues with software designed for Windows XP and earlier versions of the operating system.

Details of the Windows XP mode, previously known as Virtual Windows XP, were first published earlier Friday by the Windows SuperSite blog.

The technology has not been part of the beta version of Windows 7 or previously disclosed by Microsoft, but is expected to be released alongside the upcoming release candidate version. Microsoft said on Friday that it will release it to developers next week and publicly starting May 5.

You can read the rest of the article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      Man I knew they would do that
      I've been saying it since they bought Kidaro (now MED-V)
      As machines become more and more powerful its easy to run a virtual instance of older systems in the background and get true compatibility, no longer will 'app' support be a true barrier to innovation, kudos to MS
    2. Gav
      Gav
      I was reading about it earlier, sounds pretty good. Apple pulled it off when moving from OS 9 to OS X ('Classic' Mode), so I don't see why Microsoft can't.

Now they've just got to sort out the inconsistent UI and stop selling multiple, pointless editions... :biggrin
    3. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      I just read about this (hey, I'm slow). This should go a long way to solving MS's history of "breaking" various apps when they upgrade to the next version of Windows. Wonder if they'll be a direct upgrade path from XP to Windows 7 or if people will have to upgrade to Vista 1st and then to 7?
    4. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      From what I've been studying, there won't be a direct upgrade from XP to Vista. You'll have to do a clean install and use the User State Migration Tool (USMT) to migrate your files & setting.

-Ken
    5. Gav
      Gav
      Probably for the best to be honest, upgrades are never perfect.