Windows 7 Install from USB

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by shadowwebs, Dec 27, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I am just looking to clarify some information, so that I can tick the mental box in my brain to agree with where I think it should be.

On the Professor Messer videos it says to install Windows 7 from a USB you have to prep the USB stick with diskpart before copying the files over, however with the Don Poulton book it says that you can just copy the files over and it will work, no mention of diskpart.

This is for a basic install, for those PCs without a DVD-ROM and only USB Ports. This is not for installing with a configured .xml file along with the .wim, as I am sure I will come back at a later time to ask about those.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Just do the diskpart thing, always worked for me.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA