Windows 7 - initial impressions

Discussion in 'Software' started by zebulebu, Jan 14, 2009.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Well... It's just Vista with a Fish, innit?

:biggrin

Discuss

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

Yes, it definately looks similar to vista at the moment with one big difference...it works!

I dont feel that i am joining the "cool gang" and just saying Vista is rubbish there. I maintain that it is generally fine for home use, but for business when i used it (for about 6 months) i saw no major benefits even once i had got past the bits i really didnt like!

On a like for like basis, i have found windows 7 to run much better than Vista did...but lets just wait and see. Microsoft do seem to be making the right noises this time ie proper driver testing...

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Bit to early to write it off but yeah I thought the same :D

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

Will this mean quickly having to learn new MCTS for the new Windows and Vista MCTS becoming obsolete before XP related ones :cry:

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best review so far :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Povester

Povester Bit Poster

Be nice if MS gave Vista owners a free upgrade to Windows 7, the similarities between the two from what I'v seen would make it difficult for me to justify the expense of upgrading.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I doubt it, remember this is only a beta. Windows 7 won't be out publicly for a while.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, it's still gonna be the same problem with business... third-party app vendors aren't going to support their apps on Windows 7 for quite some time. That's the major reason why Vista has YET to take off in the biz world.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Does it work well with Citrix ica client?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I found 7 much quicker to bootup than Vista on the same hardware. I am using the UAC on one of the lower settings as opposed to just switching it off in Vista. I can actually find things, in Vista I felt some features or functions were hard to find (like getting to the network settings to change IP address). In 7 everything seems more refined and better placed. I like the fact its not a big rewrite, more like the transition from Win2000 to XP and not the big jump from XP to Vista so most software and drivers should carry on working in 7. Overall, I like it.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  11. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I would like to see a family pack (3 to 5 pcs) for the general public like the educational versions of office or like apples family pack products.

certainly is an improvement over vista, but still not so sure about XP

NT 3.51 and XP are still my favourite MS releases

I remember when the NT4's shell was in beta before NT4 itself and you installed it on NT 3.51
    perhaps they should have done the same with vista/7 on XP to get people used to it.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

First impressions? It's very nice! I have it installed as a secondary OS on my laptop, of which Vista chewed and spat out, but it's running really smoothly and I haven't had any compatibility problems with drivers yet.

Two small annoyances though...

With the preinstalled Windows Media Player 12 you can't stream directly to an Xbox 360 using media sharing. For anyone else experiencing this problem then you can download and use TVersity to stream and it works like a charm! (Plus it's totally free!!) Linky is here - http://tversity.com/download/

Secondly... for some odd reason when starting applications the Taskbar colour reverts to "Custom" and effectively turns it black. It happens totally randomly and is quite annoying. Although saying that... it hasn't happened in a couple of days so it may have been patched...

So yeah, there ya go, my two cents.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  13. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

That's 'cus it's Vista's latest service pack! :p

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I have yet to be able to download the 32-bit version directly from Microsoft. I've got the 64-bit downloaded, but haven't installed it yet.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Whats with the taskbar? I hate it

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  16. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

expect there's still a lot of work, small things

I rememner the XP beta, it didnt have stuff like a disk copy feature until final release.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi all,

Can I ask those who've installed Windows7 into a VMware machine, what OS type you chose at the start. I mean, did you choose Windows, then Vista, or did you choose other ?

I'm just wondering because I chose "Other" and my VM can't see my onboard NIC that XP and past Vista VMs have picked up straight away. this basically means I can do nothing after the install of any use - can't even activate it.

In essence, I'm just hoping that I don't have to go redo it all as a Vista machine, but I fear I may have to .... :rolleyes:

Cheers :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi Gav

I actually installed mine on a more up to date version of VMware workstation (6.5). It picked up immediately that it was a vista install. As I mentioned to you, I have other problems so I haven't had much of a chance to see if it's better or not.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I know you guys are using VMware but Windows 7 works fine on Virtual PC. Might be worth using that just to get things going......

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yep, installed as a Vista 32-bit O/S in ESX. Not tried it in VMWare Workstation or Server, but would imagine it'll be the same. Sorry bud - easier and quicker for you to vape and start over I reckon :ohmy

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em