Windows 7 Favourites Folder clears on every login

Discussion in 'Software' started by shadowwebs, Jun 7, 2013.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Well this is one I have been trying to figure out for a few days and I think it may prove tricky... but please prove me wrong.

We have a logon called 'exam' where on each logon it creates a temporary profile (which is correct and meant to do this).

The favourite locations within Windows Explorer appears blank everytime, and have to right click and select 'restore' for it to bring back Desktop / Downloads / Recent Places.

This is only a recent change, and on speaking to our network team as well as looking at GPO's distributed there is nothing appearing to have caused this.

It only happens on this one login, as I have tested with other temporary profile login's and they show up fine, and is only in the one room, yet for every PC in the one room.

Any ideas on how to get favourites to show desktop everytime for this logon?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Can you login with the exam Id in other rooms and the favourites etc appear ok? If so then I would be looking at the machines in that room and what OU's etc they are a part of and re-checking and GPO settings.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. shadowwebs

I will check next week and let you know, although on testing another temporary login yesterday I found the folders also did not show up.

I get the distinct feeling that these PCs never had the favourites showing on them, but I have been told that they definetly did.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I would definitely be looking at the policies applied to the machines first off, as of multiple user ID's are having the same issue then I would say machine is much more likely.

If it was one ID on many machines then obviously different. Let us know how ya get on though!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Worth having a look in event viewer to see if there are any issues.

Sounds like a GPO issue to me.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Event viewer as Sparky says would be a good starting point, also try running an RSOP report to narrow down any GP settings.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

You've said it yourself, it is using a TEMPORARY profile, so it will of course be cleared every time you log in.

Are you using a temporary profile for a reason?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  8. shadowwebs

I have found it does the same for all temporary logins used, we use temporary logins as they are used by students and therefore save work to a network area and anything they set on the pc gets cleared each time... I will run another RSOP report tomorrow, but on speaking to networks they are saying it's not a GPO, I will check though.

9. Sparky

How is this done? Is it a mandatory profile?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. shadowwebs

yes exactly through a mandatory profile

11. BB88

So are you using Folder Redirection for Favorites then?

Are you using Windows 7?

12. shadowwebs

yes it is indeed folder redirection for favourites, and yes windows 7.

i have found that it's in each of the exam designated OU rooms that are only having this problem, as in other rooms we do not suffer this issue.

13. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Why dont you move one of the computer accounts from the OU that has the issue to an OU where other computer accounts are not having the issue and then test with the same login. If it works then you know it has to be the GPOs linked to the OU that is causing the issue

14. shadowwebs

Sorry, I probably should have said about this earlier, I moved a PC that is working fine in to an OU where I have identified the problem also exists, I then ran gpupdate /force and restarted the PC a couple of times, but the PC still works fine.

I am going to re-image one of the affected PCs tomorrow and leave it in the same OU, and see if remains a problem.

15. Sparky

Permissions issue on the share perhaps?

16. BB88

Since Folder Redirection is a User Configuration GPO, do the users retain their favourites in other rooms? If so, then the computers in the exam rooms have a permission issue and cannot redirect to the share.

17. shadowwebs

hi all, sorry I haven't had a chance to look at this at work yet, as been announced that my job may be cut as part of savings even though my stats are the highest and general user feedback is always excellent for me... however as I joined on a 12 month contact (till December this year), they are trying to save me but don't know if they can so now that worry is on my mind

18. Sparky

Nightmare mate – hope it works out.

19. BB88

Tough break mate - it's cut throat out there at the moment!

20. shadowwebs

yeah it's cut throat out there, just hoping I don't end up unemployed as I dread the idea of having to look for a job again