Windows 7 boot from USB

Discussion in 'Software' started by shadowwebs, Jun 7, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Can anyone recommend the best utility for where I can make my USB stick as an installation source to put Windows 7 on a new Hard Drive which has never contained any OS previously.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I do it via command prompt....quick google has the followin guide: Maximum PC | How To: Install Windows 7 from a USB Key! - Page 1

(not used the guide, sure it will be fine though)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I use a combination of diskpart and xcopy

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
    shadowwebs likes this.
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

thanks guys, I used the link that Boffy provided, I came across this link yesterday but didn't have my USB device on me at the time so have created and tested today as working.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  6. UncleBeard

UncleBeard Nibble Poster

I use this: YUMI - Multiboot USB Creator (Windows) | USB Pen Drive Linux, which allows me to have a bootable USB drive which contains our Hiren's iso (with a legal Ghost pack added) and any number of other bootable images including the Offline Password reset tool etc.

I find Hiren's to be the thing I use it for most.

But I have added Win7 to it and used it to install in the past. It copies the install files, so you can't have multiple Win7 version iso images on the same key :(

Certifications: MOS 2003, 2007 and 2010, Master 2003, 2007 and 2010, MMI 2003, MCT, ITIL Foundation
  7. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

UncleBeard, you can modify the EI.CFG file in your /sources/ folder to switch between all Windows editions + Retail/OEM

Google EI.CFG and you should find the Technet references

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
    UncleBeard likes this.
  8. UncleBeard

UncleBeard Nibble Poster

Superb, looks like my USB toolkit just got even handier! :D

Thanks so much. Now I have some testing to do today, glad I have a day off and peace and quiet at home to do it :biggrin

Certifications: MOS 2003, 2007 and 2010, Master 2003, 2007 and 2010, MMI 2003, MCT, ITIL Foundation
  9. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

I only knew the CMD way that Boffy described due to finding out through studying the Microsoft 70-680 study book, interesting to know theres also programs that will do it for you.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  10. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I was so happy when I found this not so long ago. I remember being able to select in Vista, so was pretty surprised when it wasn't standard on Windows 7. I think if you delete the ei.cfg, you get the option to install any version.