Windows 7 Beta released

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by GiddyG, Jan 8, 2009.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

All you MS geeks out there (I can see you!), MS is releasing the beta of Windows 7 for download on 9th Jan. See here...

2. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

There is already another thread about this.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  3. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

9th is tomarrow so its not released.

Also most Technet, MSDN and Action pack holders probably already have legal copies.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  4. GiddyG

Oops! :oops: There is? Where?

5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I wish they would stop calling it Windows 7 and just call it Windows Vista Plus! or something of equivalent plop because that is all Windows 7 really is, Vista with tweaks that should have been in place upon it's initial release.

Or how about we call it Windows Vista SP2?

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  6. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

MS thought of calling it Windows 5h1te edition but backed out!:twisted:

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  7. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Vista was Windows Me v2.0, Windows 7 is Windows Me v3.0.

If Windows 7 is successful i'll eat my own head.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As someone who supported Windows Me in a production environment, I can say quite definitively that Vista is nowhere near the poo that Windows Me was.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. GiddyG

Yeah but let's face it... Me was a rushed out jobbie that was destined to be crap as a consequence.

10. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I've been using Vista on my desktop for about 4 months now and they're some annoyances but I think that is down to me being used to the previous os: XP. Apart from that I don't have any beef against Vista. Up until 4 months ago I did want to be trendy so I actively told others "yeah, Vista is crap"...truth of the matter was I didn't have a clue.

Here's a great tale for you though: I was with a mate of mine who was babbling onto me about this new PC he'd bought - it came with Vista. He then asked for my advice on an issue with the PC. He proceeded to tell me that when he got the PC his mate Daz - tyre fitter by day - advised him that Vista was sh*t and should be removed asap. Daz gave my mate a pirate copy of XP Pro Retail...30 days later and my mate cannot get into his PC! LOL. So I said to him

"are you telling me that you removed an OS that you paid for based on the advice from a tyre fitter?"

his reply was "yeah, Daz is a real IT pro and build's great websites" (incidently these websites are static HTML template sh1te with flashing gifs all over the shop).

"So why are you asking me then" I replied back

"Well I figured that you might know something about it seeing as you work in IT support" he says

I reply with "put Vista back on you pleb"

he replies with "no, Daz says it's sh1t"

End of conversation!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  11. drum_dude

Also, I seem to remember that is was cool to say "XP is crap, put 2000 pro on" when XP first came out. I remember having a heated debate with a lecturer at Uni who announced during an IT module "XP is unstable, Windows 2000 Pro is better"...the debate kicked off with me interrupting him with "can you tell me why XP is unstable?". He darted around the subject but could not answer the question! Unfortunately for him I'd just got my MCP in XP and I was confident that it was a far superior OS then 2000 Pro...he did not agree! But to be fair in those days it was trendy to be in the anti-XP camp!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  12. GiddyG

Hah hah... nice tale.

13. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

LOL

Daz knows best :rolleyes:

Good point, I remember a few years ago talking to a Daz like character ( he actually designed websites for a living but it soon emerged he talked more than he knew) and he laughed at me when I said I had bought a new computer that was bundled with windows xp.

I use vista at home, xp at work. Like them both.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  14. drum_dude

Yes that's the same with me but now that I use Vista at home I do notice just how old XP is starting to look. But so far I haven't come across anything in Vista that makes me think - at work - "I wish XP did that". So yeah, it ain't exactly a revolution of sorts OS-wise and - like you - I like them both!

I remember getting a job on a helpdesk back in 2001 before XP came out, so 2000 was all the rage. I got into a conversation with a chap who worked in the so-called 3rd Line dept. I asked him when we would be moving off NT4 Server over to 2000. His reply was "we've been told that it's not very good, so it probably won't happen". I never found out who it was that told them that?

Incidently, this 3rd Line guy used to have MCP at the end of his email signature...I asked him what his MCP was in: Windows 98!

In time I realised that he was full of sh*t and actually knew very little about NT4 but was a whizz at 98:D How he got into 3rd line I'll never know!

15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have only used Vista a little and didn't mind it. The only thing that got on my tits was the UAC which can be turned off.

I think all OSs have their own little features which the previous version didn't and in time a user gets used to those new features.

Yes Vista had some compatability issues when it first came out but it's getting there now.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I use both XP and Vista and I love them both.

I downloaded Windows 7 yesterday and tried installing it (as you do) and all it had in store for me was a boot error. :x

To be fair I was installing it in vmware on my pc at home. I've since downloaded the checked build and am currently installing it on my laptop (also in vmware) and it seems to be going okay so far.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Microsoft needs to remain competitive hence the recent annoucement for Windwos 7 and doesn't seem like main stream firms are buying into Vista at the moment.

We'd see, but personally don't mind Vista as I've been testing Vista business edition at work for a few months now.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  18. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Vista has been banned on the network here, I think through fear more then anything, that and in its inital incarnation it wasn't really ready. However now I think it is, but many businesses wont take it up as there are too many "daz's" in the world.

I have got Windows 7 beta coming down, will be funny when I run it as a VM machine on my mac...

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sure, there are too many Daz-types in the world... but to be fair, most businesses won't/can't take it up because their apps aren't certified to work on Windows Vista - even now, two years after Vista's release.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Quite apart from the 'Daz'es of this world (and there are many) there are very serious reasons NOT to upgrade to a new O/S within the first year or so of its release in a corporate environment - by far the most important of which is the fact that the O/S isn't 'mature' until at least a year after its been RTMed. This is why many companies didn't migrate from 2K to XP in any great hurry. Exacerbating the problem with Vista is the fact that it was obviously rushed to release - anyone who has any history with Windows O/Ses can spot a dud a mile off (Windows ME, XP pre-SP1) - so Vista will NEVER be widely adopted in the corporate world. XPSP3 is the most stable OS I've ever used - it will last my company at least another two years, by which time Windows 7 should have been out a year and on SP1 - at which point I'll consider upgrading if there are compelling reasons to do so.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em