Windows 2008 server with Windows 7 enterprise

Discussion in 'Networks' started by shadowwebs, May 29, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

So... I have for test purposes setup a VM on oracle virtualbox for Windows Server 2008, added the role for AD DS, with a domain 'wigston.leicester'.

I have then installed Windows 7 Enterprise on a separate VM within the same network and tried to connect to the domain but am getting the attached error.

any ideas?

I am new to all this server setting up business from scratch, I am fine working with servers when they are running by adding new users and domain the account administration, but this is all new to me... I have an interview tomorrow and think I may be tested on a lot of this so could be handy to get my head around as much as possible today and tonight.

Attached Files:

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

What are the DNS settings on the client PC?
    Does the server have the DNS role installed?

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hi, I have not used virtual box, but with VMWare you need to ensure the networks the VMS are plugged into can connect to each other.

Have you assigned a static IP address for your server? Can you ping it from the client (both IP address and DNS address)?

As Mcbro said, DNS needs to be installed correctly, did you notice what was said about DNS when you installed AD DS? If you didnt have DNS installed it would have prompted you to install it.

Good luck with your interview.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. shadowwebs

my mistake, although I had added the role for ADDS and DNS, I had not added the role for DHCP therefore the client PC was not seeing the LAN in which to connect to.

I am going to add the role now, does this sound about right for where the fault may have lived?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Virtualbox comes with its own dhcp server so I'm going to assume that is what you are using which would cause this issue. What you need to do is ensure that the DC is pointing to itself for primary dns resolution and also has the dhcp role enabled (and switch off virtualboxes dhcp role z3d's blog: How to enable/disable VirtualBox's DHCP server. ), then when configuring the dhcp scope make sure you point the dns at the dc.

Then just reboot the windows 7 vm and try again.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. shadowwebs

yes i can ping the server from the client successfully

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Can you ping the IP address or the DNS name? Can you ping the namespace (wigston.leicester) from the DC and the client?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. shadowwebs

Can I run through this from the beginning... so I have installed Windows Server 2008 Standard - full installation... and am going to add the role AD DS which automatically adds DNS.

9. shadowwebs

after adding the role 'AD DS' I have then used dcpromo.exe to create a new domain in a new forest with the name 'wigston.leicester'.

I have selected the functional level to be windows server 2008 and selected additional options for the domain controller to include DNS Server.

everything has now finished installing.

i have uninstalled the Win7 client for the time being as I want to make sure I have got the server side of things working first.

what is the best next step after the role AD DS with DNS has been added? Is it to install DHCP role or just to assign a static IP to the server

10. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

You must give the server a static IP and install the dhcp role on the server so it can service the windows 7 clients on your lab. the static ip must look something like this:

Server ip: 192.168.1.10
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gway 192.168.1.254
    Primary dns 192.168.1.10
    secondary: blank

In this instance where you only have one domain controller (fine for a lab) then the domain controller must point to itself for DNS to work correctly within the domain, Ideally you would do this configuration before running dcpromo. The IP addresses are ones I've plucked out of the air so you will need to substitute them for the correct range that your virtualbox is using.

Once you have that set up install the DHCP role and run through the first scope creation wizard and make sure you enter the DNS lookup value to the Ip address of the domain controller. Now when clients obtain their IP address from the server they will talk directly to the domain controller and be able to join the domain without any issues.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  11. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

you can install dhcp or use statics. as others have mentioned it appears to be dns related. also ensure the relevant srv records are present within the dns zone

check you can ping the server from the client is the first start (using ip)

then hostname, you should also be able to ping the domain name which will resolve to the dc if the relevant srv records are present as above

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As discussed make sure your server has a valid static IP address. I’m sure if you run the dcpromo process with a dynamic IP address you will get a warning which you may have overlooked.

Just to confirm have you opened up Active Directory on the DC to check it has installed correctly?

Give your Windows 7 machine a static IP address and make sure the DNS IP is the IP address of your DC.

On the windows 7 machine open up command prompt….

Nslookup
    Then type whateverthenameoftheserveris.wigston.leicester

If it resolves to the correct IP of the server then try adding the Windows 7 machine to the domain again.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I done this recently at work. Since I was creating a Domain inside a Domain, I used Internal Network as the Network Attached Type on both the Server and Client, this separated it from my host machine.

I used AD DS with dcpromo, set my Server to static with 192.168.0.2 and DNS as 192.168.0.2 or 127.0.0.1, and used Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

On the Client I gave a Static IP of 192.168.0.3, DNS 192.168.0.2, and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Then I installed DNS, restarted both, and I was then able to connect my host to the Domain.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  14. shadowwebs

thanks will give that a try and comment with the result known.

15. shadowwebs

no that didn't work,i may give up until I am actually studying for Server 2008 properly... I didn't get the job even though I passed all the Server questions fine.

16. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

What IP settings are you using on the Server ?

Are you able to ping the Server from your Host - after setting the correct Static IP settings - providing you aren't using DHCP ?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  17. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster